Time to stop Christmas presents? Poll Discussion

edited 23 November 2010 at 4:55PM in Money Saving Polls
41 replies 5.3K views

Replies

• Our family has always had a rule that we don't spend more than £10 each on birthday or Christmas presents for anyone over 18.

This year, however, we've gone one step further and we're having a competition to see who can spend the least money on family gifts, with extra points for being both thrifty and creative and for getting the best bargain. I've been trawling through the emails sent through this website and have so far collected £5 free from Debenhams, £10 free from Next, £5 of Tesco clubcard vouchers I'd lost (worth £10 in some departments at the moment), and another two freebies I can't specify in case the family members due to receive them read this!

Having this competition has really taken the pressure off with regards to spending, and I'm aiming to win by getting everything free. The only problem is that I told my sister about Martin's Money Tips and she's now in serious competition with me!
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have the problem of having too many people to buy presents for. No children to buy for and only four adults family members. I see lots of lovely things but no-one to buy for. :)
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • ApricotApricot Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much only give to immediate family. However, I have a 11 brothers and sisters, a niece two sets of grandparents, great grandmother and both parents are remarried. On OH's side he has 2 sisters and a brother, both sets of grandparents and again both parents have remarried....that's a total of 30 people not including my OH that I buy for (total people I actually buy for is 38 - I include a few friends children).

Tbh I buy bargains throughout the year and I have a spreadsheet with each person named and then as I buy things I can mark off who I've bought for - this has saved me an absolute fortune. I love buying for people, I enjoy trying to think of things that they will enjoy (no giftsets or tat) and am always thrilled to see the children open their presents. These days though, I only spend what I can afford and I think that's the most important thing - going into debt for xmas is so pointless as all the excitement fades away when the January credit card bills arrive!
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • ApricotApricot Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have the problem of having too many people to buy presents for. No children to buy for and only four adults family members. I see lots of lovely things but no-one to buy for. :)

Have you thought of sending a gift to a sick child? http://www.postpals.co.uk/
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • To solve the problem of children giving presents to their friends encourage the idea of secret santa.

Each child puts thier name into a hat, an agreed amount is given for the price of the present. Everyone takes one name out and buys that person a present. Overall spend is a lot lower, no competetive spending and everyone gets a present.

We also do this at work with a top limit of £5 for the gift.

Presents are limited to friends and close family and for friends children they stop at 18.

For birthdays as an aside my daughters usually contribute to a present from their circle of friends, one big present and no tat. Son just doesnt buy presents for friends, this seems to be the case with boys.
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    koexelek wrote: »
    The best way to " save face" if you are harder up than the rest of the family is to say that you want everyone to chip in and give you money towards one large item.
    Then, instead of buying it, use the cash to buy their presents with instead.

Whatever suites each family is best for them, if that works for you and you are happy with that, then that is the best way for you to go. :)
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Hi, I am new to the forum but I am a debt free wannabee and so I am looking for ways to save money without the kids feeling like they get nothing for Christmas. My kids earn their own money throughout the year (they get no pocket money) so I want to get them a few things.

It's really hard not to overspend!
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    SPARKIE wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to the forum but I am a debt free wannabee and so I am looking for ways to save money without the kids feeling like they get nothing for Christmas. My kids earn their own money throughout the year (they get no pocket money) so I want to get them a few things. It's really hard not to overspend!

:) Keep your eye on the forums for the various offers that can be found, join some survey sites to get cash or vouchers that can be used towards gifts. Amazing what bargains can be found out there :)
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • jakes-mumjakes-mum Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I voted for C but like others its a bit more complicated than the options given, We (DH & I) buy for both our sets of parents, our children (9 & 2), my DH's eldest daughter and our granddaughter (1), my middle sister and her husband something small from the kids, as they have no kids but buy for my two, for my eldest sisters 2 kids (6 & 3) (and she buys for my 2, we dont swap gifts between ourselves) and for my DH's sisters youngest daughter (11). His sister's other kids and his brothers kid are all over 18 and we had agreed long ago that once the nieces and nephews each turned 18 christmas/birthday gifts would cease and only cards would be sent.
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) 1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £0/£1000
  • dtldtl Forumite
    14 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I voted B, but actually we go further in our family. As Christians we believe that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ not mass consumption, so our girls only get a small number of gifts. Any serious gift giving is reserved for birthdays.

As an alternative to buying 'things' for people who may not really need it, why not consider a charitable gift from the likes Oxfam, World Vision or other charities.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals