edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
3 replies 1K views
hollie.weimeranerhollie.weimeraner Forumite
2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Noticed this on another forum that may be of interest

I indulged with BT over 12 months ago but the recent bargains on offer made me consider changing ISP. I rang BT to see what to do & was told my 'classic' £25 pm 512 kb package could be upgraded to unlimited 1mb service 'no charge'. luxhello.gif

Hi, I rand BT to cancel and was offered the 1mb upgrade. When I said I didn't want it they dropped my rate to £21.99 per month

Get contacting BT guys & gals

I'm with Tesco's but thought this may be of interest to some of you.
3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer

Replies

• I used to be a BT broadband money waster too....

When I wanted to change to basic at £17.99 per month, they told me it would cost about £50 to switch, at which point I said I would be leaving. They then told me I could change for nothing.

However, it's far too expensive to stay with BT if you are out of your contract period. I recently changed provider to EFH and have unlimited download with 512k speed for only £11.75 per month, and it's only a 3 month contract.

BT will be upgrading soon, which means you MAY get 1mb speeds for your £17.99 per month, but other ISPs will also follow BTs lead, so it's no real bargain. Remember, you only get 1GB download for that price.

I say MAY get 1mb, because there is no guarantee - it all depends what speed your line will take - so if you are too far away from your local exchange then they won't be able to upgrade you.

• I am with plus.net who are fab, and I rang them today as I was paying £24.99 for 512kb ..... my contract is up for renewal real soon, so asked them to look in to it for me.

They can do a 2MB speed for a 3GB download limit (which I find is ample), for £18...... which I thought was really good.

Their customer support is fantastic, and I have never had any problems with them.
    ** Getting back in the swing of saving again.... **

:T :T :T :T :T
    Trying to find the best deals to save as much as we can..........
  • Jonni2bad wrote:
    I used to be a BT broadband money waster too....

When I wanted to change to basic at £17.99 per month, they told me it would cost about £50 to switch, at which point I said I would be leaving. They then told me I could change for nothing.

However, it's far too expensive to stay with BT if you are out of your contract period. I recently changed provider to EFH and have unlimited download with 512k speed for only £11.75 per month, and it's only a 3 month contract.

BT will be upgrading soon, which means you MAY get 1mb speeds for your £17.99 per month, but other ISPs will also follow BTs lead, so it's no real bargain. Remember, you only get 1GB download for that price.

I say MAY get 1mb, because there is no guarantee - it all depends what speed your line will take - so if you are too far away from your local exchange then they won't be able to upgrade you.

I'm with you. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with BT trying to find out why my engineer installed service for which I used to pay 40 quid a month was now going to be subject to a download limit.

Make no mistake about it folks this is what is going to happen. They are going to slowly move to a pay as you go model by increasing speed to encourage people to use the service, decreasing subscriptions to make it attractive, whilst slowly decreasing the usage threshold so that people get used to paying for downloads.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support