We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Did I do the right thing?

After roast chicken for tea last night DH carved some of leftovers off to have in a sandwich for work today. He left these on a plate on the side to cool down ready to go in fridge.

I came into kitchen this morning to find we'd both completely forgotten the chicken and it was still sitting on the side having been left out all night.

I was worried about food poisoning so didn't use it for his sandwiches and the dog is having a lovely tea tonight!

Was I right to think this might be bad for DH to eat or am I being over-cautious? Would any of you eaten it?

Just to add the kitchen was warm with the heating being on until 11pm but was cold after that as we had a frost last night.
There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
«13

Comments

  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't have used it for sandwiches but I would have recooked it into something else. But my kitchen is pretty cold anyway, unless the oven is on.
    Val.
  • I personally wouldnt eat it if the kitchen was warm.
    ....and if I wouldnt eat it I certainly wouldnt be giving it to my dog either !
    (not being funny here... I just wouldnt want to be stepping into something soft & squishy on my way to the kettle tomorrow morning !!)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I think it would of been fine considering how cold it was last night.. in the days before fridges it wouldn't of gotten thrown out ..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • I would have eaten it myself but not given it to anyone else! Our kitchen is cool anyway with having a stome floor and have been known to store things under the units if we run out of fridge space:D
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I probably would have put it straight in the fridge in the morning then used it in a cooked meal, so it would be thoroughly heated through.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    We always leave the chicken out over night and put it in the fridge in the morning, so i would have had it no probs!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'd have eaten it :D
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'd have eaten it but probably cooked it up again... Having said that, I know I have eaten chicken that has been out all night.
    Putting these winter preps here so I don't forget! 

    Curtain pole installed in the living room
    Paint curtain pole
    Window quilts for landing window & french door
    Add shrink film to the kitchen door & insulate
    Insulate front door
    Bubble wrap windows & french door
    Wash front door curtain
    Blind for the bathroom
    Find wrist warmers & the wool socks!
    Wash heated throws
    Wash duvet & wool blankets
    Buy vest tops to go under clothes and PJs
    Buy nets for bathroom and kitchen
    Buy or make blind for kitchen
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    500 Posts
    What a good dog you have, not to have helped him/herself overnight!
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 November 2010 at 8:43PM
    I often forget to fridge things and eat them after wards, so for me its a definite eat. However, e have no children/infirm in the house. If we did it would have been turned into a meal that involved heating and ''killing'' the germs I like to think.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.