From here to maternity... Trying to be debt free

Options

Comments

• LittleBit_2
    Options
    Actually, we would probably pay the majority of our credit card off too so we could start again from scratch.
    Mummy to 3 fabulous boys all under 4 :eek:
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think its tough at moment as interest rates makes those lucky enough to be on ladder without negative equity to be slightly better off and means private rental prices will probably always be more or around the same.

we rent 3beds garden city suberb and our rents 650which is cheap most 3beds in south west are around 700-800pm.Thats not including high council tax.

I think if you can afford morgage paymenst you best staying put for a while as halifax came out with new figures today house prices still falling although there are regional differences.

in few years time you may not be in neg equity or not as much.

I doubt interest rates will hike massivly will be small gradual rises as bank of england being very cautious despite rising inflation.

I know it worries you but wouldent worry about it until it happens and you feel you cant meet repayments .

I would see what outgoings you can reduce.
    debt bust into creditcard as thats then extra 50pounds in your pocket per month.
    sort out low level repayment plan with mil so you feel better paying something.

You wont lose child benefit the threashold for thats 40k.
    you should get tax credits until at least 2012

Thats mad about your mate I would query it but due to data protection and confidentiality they wont discuss others payments.

its very odd maybe she will be unlucky ones with huge bill as been overpaid seems to happen a lot.

I dont understand it , its just too complicated and slow.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there just read through your thread, and I really feel for young families right now. Seems that they are being royally screwed in these cut backs....

So first of all even with your new outgoings, you should still have a surplus so you need to find out where this is going. So a spending diary is essential for both of you.

What about signing on for mystery shopping. Would bring in a few pennies and can be fit around other work.

good luck with the scan
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    I forgot to update. I actually had my 12 week scan on Monday. It went really well, and everything seems as it should be. I've tried to put a little picture on here, but can't remember how to do it!
    They have moved my dates forward slightly, so I'm now 13 weeks today :D
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    We had another valuer round today. They've valued it at just under 15k less that the other estate agents wanted to put it on the market for :eek: So now I don't know what to think!! The first estate agent said we would probably be looking at 5 to 10k under the asking price, but this one thinks 5k less than that, and we would have to accept lower offers! I'm so confused :mad: So, I think we're going to get another valuation and see what they say.
    I'm starting to think that maybe we should just sit tight and hope that the market goes back up...

Other news is that apparently there are big changes afoot at work, so you never know, they might offer me redundancy, probably won't though :(
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    I've been full of cold for the last 3 days, and in bed for 2 of them. I feel like I'm coming out the other side now, but both boys are snotty and miserable. I've pretty much been cooped up in the house for the last 2 weeks. First it was the snow, and then we've all been ill. I could really do with getting out and about.
    Christmas is pretty much sorted now, we just need to buy a pressie for FIL and then we're done YIPPEE! It's cost a little more than I though unfortunately, but at least we don't have to do it again for another year (what a miserable attitude to have about it). I will make sure I but adults presents through the year next year and not just the children's things.
    Tomorrow I'm going to collect a pram that I'm buying second hand off netmums. It was advertised at £125 and I'm getting it for £100, it's lush! It has a car seat, pushchair seat and lie flat carry cot which can all fit on the chassis. The pushchair part of it has never even been used, and the carrycot has only been used 2 or 3 times. We also bought some cloth nappies the other day - around 40 for £15, and got a free steam steriliser and baby swing thrown in too. I think it's a bit early to be buying really, but as I'm getting such good bargains I can't say no.
  • rubber_soul
    Options
    Hi LittleBit, sorry you've been poorly, hope you all feel better soon. I've arranged to buy a couple of baby things as well- I'm 16 weeks and didn't really want to buy anything until after my next scan but when there are some bargains to be had, I think it makes sense to snap them up! :)
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    I still have my cold :mad: I'm on day 12 of having it now!!

We have just had another estate agent round to do a third valuation, and they have quoted the same price as the first one (the higher price). I feel more reassured now that the second valuer gave us a lower price so they could sell it quickly and it would look good for their records as a quick sale...
    I'm still waiting to hear the news about what is happening at work, so don't know yet if there will be any redundancies. I have my fingers crossed though.
    My childminder text us this morning and said she is closing for a couple of days between Christmas and New Year, so we will get a £100 refund :j I have asked if we can have it in cash, and then it will tide us over for shopping and diesel in January.
    We bought DS2 his first pair of shoes yesterday, and managed to get them in the Clarks sale for £15. OH's mum said she would pay for them and gave us £20 and wouldn't accept any change, so we have another £20 cash sat at home too.
    All the Christmas shopping is done now, and the boys are going to their nana's for the day on Monday, so I will get the rest of the presents wrapped.
    Hubby and I just need to sit down now and decide if we definitely want to put the house on the market. We also need to make a list of all the 'niggly' jobs that need finishing if we go ahead.
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    Options
    Hi LittleBit :) I've just found your diary and read through it.

Congratulations on baby 3 :D

You sound all organised for Xmas and I hope your cold disappears soon.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    I finally have time to put on here and do an update.

Christmas has been crazy and busy, but it's been nice for us all to spend some time together at home. I'm not sure I could do with us all being at home all the time though, DH and I would probably kill each other. It sounds bad, but I'm glad he is going back to work tomorrow, as I can get back into my own routine with the boys.

Moneywise things have been ticking along ok. DH has made a big list of jobs that need to be done before we put the house up for sale, and I would really like to put it up ASAP, as DS1 is due to start nursery at easter, so I don't want to get him settled in one, and then have to move him.

The pregnancy is going well, I'm 17 weeks today, it's really flying! 3 weeks tomorrow we will find out what flavour we're having (although I'm sure it will be another boy...) I ordered some bunk beds from Woolworths online in the sale a couple of days ago. They were £60 for the whole frame, and they can also be seperated. It looks like DS1 and DS2 will share bedrooms at some point in the near future, so I thought we should buy them now for that price, and we can always store 1 under our bed.

I got loads of maternity clothes yesterday from the Next clearance outlet, so I think I am pretty much sorted for clothes now. I have loads of pairs of jeans, and quite a few tops - although some of them are getting too small already! I also have quite a few tops to grow into, so hopefully I shouldn't have to spend any more money on maternity things at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport