🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Stamp duty free shares

Options
bobbyj_2
bobbyj_2 Posts: 351 Forumite
edited 15 November 2010 at 10:09AM in Savings & investments
Someone PMd me for a list and I'm sorry i forgot to get back to you, here is a list which i can update if and when people give me stocks to add. Many of these are great 'scalping' stocks for a bit of 'beer money' during the day.

888,AAAM,AEY,AGR,BKY,BVC,CAO,CEY,CGL,CHTR,CLE,COLT,CZA,EXPN,FCPT,HDY,HOIL,HSX,IAE,INF,LAM,LKI,OIL,OMI,PFC,PRTY,ROC,RRS,SAND,TALV,XEL,GSL,FRES,NYO,YAU

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also..... GSL, FRES, NYO, YAU.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    so u just pay broker charges on them

whyare thety exempot ?
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    BNC which is an ADR Its actually listed in Madrid I think

Any stock which is listed in more then one place I think works so VGM will list on TSX soon I think

Also an ETF is no duty as its a tax paid within the fund itself
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm no expert (have said that before) but..... I believe it is to do with the structure and location of 'control'. Found the below extract from the IR site:

Crest Depositary Interests (CDIs) are exempt from SDRT when they are created over “foreign securities”. A “foreign security” is defined as a security raised by a non-UK body corporate which is not a collective investment scheme, whose central management and control is not exercised in the UK. In addition the security must not be registered in a register kept in the UK and crucially must be of the same class in the body corporate as securities which are listed on a recognised stock exchange overseas.

I'm not sure how it all hangs together because if I use Centamin Egypt (CEY) as an example, it was and is traded on different exchanges (London, Toronto and Australia) but you used to pay Stamp Duty (SDRT). Then they changed to Deposit Interest (which I believe they were no longer CREST traded) and SDRT was no longer payable. They are an Australian registered company but their main listing is now London.

Its all beyound me but I save myself 0.5% whenever I buy.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    I understand some identically named shares are quoted in £, $ and € and it is possible to transfer from one currency to another. Has anyone done this and does it avoid exchange spread and fees?
  • protean123
    protean123 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 October 2012 at 10:35PM
    Options
    There's a decent list of stamp duty free shares here:

http:// uk.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=27239794

(Remove the blank space before the uk.advfn in the address above. The forum wouldn't accept the link so I had to add a blank space).
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does this method enable you to receive dividends free of tax?
  • rockitup
    rockitup Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    I understand some identically named shares are quoted in £, $ and € and it is possible to transfer from one currency to another. Has anyone done this and does it avoid exchange spread and fees?

About a year ago I bought an ETF quoted in Dollars, it was also available in GBP but I wasn't watching closely enough.

As far as I could make out it only had a very tiny exchange spread when comparing to the mid-bank rate at the same time.

This may not work with all shares and ETF's though so just try to compare when markets are open
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    rockitup wrote: »
    About a year ago I bought an ETF quoted in Dollars, it was also available in GBP but I wasn't watching closely enough.

As far as I could make out it only had a very tiny exchange spread when comparing to the mid-bank rate at the same time.

This may not work with all shares and ETF's though so just try to compare when markets are open

Thanks, I barely remember asking that question. It beat the two year barrier anyway! :)
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Surely the performance is identical for both shares in either currency since that is what you exchange for it not hold it in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport