Cheap Xmas Confectionaryi know i'm not th

e only on that spends loads at xmas on chocs and sweets...i can spend £40-£50 easy jsut on the chocs (thats with out the actual presants)

anyone know of any good offers or cheap MSE ways to cut this an still get some nice choccies.

i usually do the 2 for £5 or 3 for 2 offers at woolies but its still a fair few quid.

Comments

• loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    I buy 2 tins of chocs at christmas and i have 4 children so do them a sweetie/choc bag each and they have lots of little bits in there so it usually last them way past christmas
    We used to buy loads more but i got so sick of the site of chocolate and other christmas stuff we said we will never buy that much again
    If you really want all that chocolate and sweets then start early look at the 342s superdrug,boots,woolworths,tesco,sainsbury they have lots of offers on
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Do you live near a chocolate factory? We have one near us in Fakenham and the factory shop is really cheap. Maybe worthwhile sourcing out the factories just incase there's one nearby.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    I buy them all year around when they are BOGOF, make my own selection boxes, saves on paying for the xmas boxes which you are paying for the packaging . Use florist cellophane, bag up the chocs, lovely bow, cheaper than the shops, the kids love them!! xx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • :rudolf:I got 2 big tins of roses last year from tesco online £10.00 cheapest I've ever had, so far T:snow_grin

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • I was in my local Sainsburys today and they had tin of roses and celebrations on offer - any 2 tins for £9.00!:eek: Would have got some but I would just eat and eat and eat ..........
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    we dont actually buy that many chocs / sweets etc

usually some dried fruit / nuts ,maybe small box of celebrations and roses etc,savoury snacks - pretzels,bombay mix etc

that way we arent left with tonnes of stuff after xmas !
    i would find it very hard to spend ( and eat lmao) £50 worth of choc !
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    victory wrote:
    I buy them all year around when they are BOGOF, make my own selection boxes, saves on paying for the xmas boxes which you are paying for the packaging . Use florist cellophane, bag up the chocs, lovely bow, cheaper than the shops, the kids love them!! xx

thats a lovely idea :beer:

i like the xmas bags on lakeland http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/christmas/xmaswrapping!1484 and may pinch your idea and do something :)
  • meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I stopped buying chocs at xmas when I realised we still had some left in March (you know, those caramel things that always rattle the tin after all the orange/strawberry creams have gone, lol).

I'm not sure if you (OP) have kids, but mine get enough chocolate to last now so I don't bother.

Also, if you wait until just after xmas, Asda, if I remember correctly, sell their selction boxes at half price.
  • yeslek
    yeslek Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    1012donna wrote:
    Do you live near a chocolate factory? We have one near us in Fakenham and the factory shop is really cheap. Maybe worthwhile sourcing out the factories just incase there's one nearby.
    the nearest is cadbury in birmingham but its too much of a mission unless i'm going there anyways
    Rachie_B wrote:
    i would find it very hard to spend ( and eat lmao) £50 worth of choc !
    its easy when your looking at £5 a pop for a nice box of chocs for say just mom, then if you average that our over everyone it soon adds up.
    theres mom, dad, grandparents, cousins, friends, in laws etc.
    meerustar wrote:
    I stopped buying chocs at xmas when I realised we still had some left in March (you know, those caramel things that always rattle the tin after all the orange/strawberry creams have gone, lol).

I'm not sure if you (OP) have kids, but mine get enough chocolate to last now so I don't bother.

Also, if you wait until just after xmas, Asda, if I remember correctly, sell their selction boxes at half price.
    no no i dont have kids.
    i dont need to worry about the xmas stuff for the house, these are like presants.
    i buy everyone a presant and a little treat and some just get the treat.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Could you buy say 2 big tins of celebrations or something else mixed (esp. usign the sainsburys 2 for £9 offer) then repackage say 20 of each persons favourites in a little bag or box? Yes it would be a cut back but personally I'd rather have 5 of my favourites than a whole box full of ones I'm not keen on but will eat anyway just beacuse they're there:o
    Or could you make some homemade truffles (get over to Old Style for recipies) they work out pretty cheap & I don't think anyone would expect as many of something which is home made & looks pretty luxurious?

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure