Can I have 2 ISAs if one has never been used?

Options
Two years ago I opened an online cash ISA. I never had the funds to make use of it, never activated the online or phone banking elements of it and no longer have the paperwork. It has a zero balance and has never been used.

Can I open an ISA elsewhere now? I will only be using the new ISA, not the old one. I need to dig out the paper work to formally close the old one but would like to get the easy bit (opening a new ISA and putting money in it) out of the way first.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you can open a new ISA each tax year
    so after ten years you can have 10 ISAs.. all with money in and all earning interest
    however you can only have one active ISA that you contribute to

so you don't need to formally close your unused ISA but you can if you wish

and assuming you haven't put any money into an ISA since 6th april then you can open a new one anytime.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    ikr2 wrote: »
    Two years ago I opened an online cash ISA. I never had the funds to make use of it, never activated the online or phone banking elements of it and no longer have the paperwork. It has a zero balance and has never been used.
    You can forget it, indeed you'd have to complete a reactivation form in order to make any subscriptions to it in any case, as no subscriptions have been made for a full tax year.
    Can I open an ISA elsewhere now? I will only be using the new ISA, not the old one.
    Yes.
    I need to dig out the paper work to formally close the old one but would like to get the easy bit (opening a new ISA and putting money in it) out of the way first.
    There's no need to formally close the old account, as per my comments above. If it has never had any subscriptions made, it's simply an account with the acronym 'ISA' in its title, not a Cash ISA.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can only put money into a cash ISA in the tax year that it was opened for. Once that tax year passes that years ISA allowance you haven't used is lost.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ikr2
    ikr2 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts