Is it possible to have more than one cash ISA?

Options
As the subject line, is it possible to have more than one cash ISA? If so, how would it work in any given tax year?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    evoke wrote: »
    As the subject line, is it possible to have more than one cash ISA? If so, how would it work in any given tax year?

You can have as many cash ISAs as you want.

You can only start a new one once in each tax year.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    evoke wrote: »
    You can only open AND subscribe to one Cash ISA per tax year (a Cash ISA account only becomes a Cash ISA when you have subscribed to it, otherwise it's just an account with the acronym 'ISA' in its name).

Theoretically, you could open & subscribe to a new Cash ISA each tax year but that would probably become unwieldy, to say the least.

If you transfer between ISA providers during a tax year, you could have two Cash ISA accounts open during the transfer process but only one would contain your Cash ISA subscriptions at any point in time during the transfer process.
  • Corallian
    Options
    So, if you have already subscribed to a Cash Isa in the current tax year you can still transfer that Isa to another provider that accepts transfers?
  • alastair_h
    Options
    Corallian wrote: »
    So, if you have already subscribed to a Cash Isa in the current tax year you can still transfer that Isa to another provider that accepts transfers?

Yes that's correct.
    "Every Pounds A Prisoner "
    "Loyalty to the Best Interest Rate"

:beer:
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Yes.

Subject to any restrictions that may be specified in the specific account's Terms & Conditions, you can transfer Cash ISAs at any time (even multiple times in the same tax year, in the highly unlikely event that you wished to do so).
  • Corallian
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    Yes.

Subject to any restrictions that may be specified in the specific account's Terms & Conditions, you can transfer Cash ISAs at any time (even multiple times in the same tax year, in the highly unlikely event that you wished to do so).

Thanks for confirming this. The reason I asked is that when applying on-line for the Halifax Direct Reward ISA that accepts transfers, the application fails when you tick the box to say you have already funded an ISA this year. I wanted transfer in the whole of my existing ISA (already funded this year) and was really surprised to find this restriction. It also appears to contradict the transfer information in the Halifax Terms & Conditions.
  • LumpyCustard_2
    Options
    Thanks for confirming this. The reason I asked is that when applying on-line for the Halifax Direct Reward ISA that accepts transfers, the application fails when you tick the box to say you have already funded an ISA this year. I wanted transfer in the whole of my existing ISA (already funded this year) and was really surprised to find this restriction. It also appears to contradict the transfer information in the Halifax Terms & Conditions.

I had the same problem; they've just set the form up badly.

If you leave the box unchecked, you can open the ISA, and then do the transfer. That's what I've done.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the application fails when you tick the box to say you have already funded an ISA this year. .

I'm afraid you have to read into it that you're not 'subscribing' to this ISA - you're 'transferring'. Doesn't make it simple ...... but it's the same as the HMRC model application form, so it's not just Halifax that cause the confusion.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure