Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Bravepants
    Options
    Since 2014 I've had two major splurges...a classic sports car and a piano! Both of these are my core hobbies, so naturally cost money, piano lessons, servicing etc. There was much eye rolling at the time of my spending and my partner questioned the rationale, BUT she has since come to see that at the end of the day it's not all about the destination in life, but about the journey too.

In any event the "tables turned" recently when she inherited a boat! I realised that I'm in no position to do any eye-rolling whatsoever! :rotfl:
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    I watched the film 'Suffragette' last weekend. The scenario you describe was approximated in the scene when the wife handed over her entire pay packet to her husband. That scene was set in the 1910s.

I don't suppose it showed a husband handing over his pay to his wife and then being given a small amount back as beer money. That was the norm in many working class communities before and after 1910.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This thread is making me feel very justified in my decision to work an extra couple of years beyond when we hit FI. We are now in a position where we just come in under budget automatically which definitely helps make for marital harmony.
    The only categories on my expenditure tracking spreadsheet are 'credit card' and 'other' with a comment added if one of them is unusually high one month. We have separate bank accounts, but I have all the passwords to DW's accounts so I can get the numbers to add to the spreadsheets. Joint main credit card (to maximise cashback) but we keep the secondary cards separate to stop anyone getting hints about their presents!
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    This all makes sense to me. However I do wish I had married your DW rather than mine :)

yes that thought ocurred to me as well !!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That was an unusual diversion into controlling finances!
    Hugheskevi - it sounds to me like your wife broadly agrees with your desire for early retirement, but before reaching that position, would like to live a little. I understand your eco-desires - I bet many here have a toned down agreement with much of that (& I say that as a fairly guilty consumer), but I would urge you to remember life is for living, don't wish it away!

We discuss pretty well all things as a couple, but with DW being a Scot, I often have to suggest she spends some money a little more often!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Oh dear, bought a new sofa this year. but the old one was falling apart and was nearly 20 years old. One reasdon I bouht it is I had 500 quids worth of tesco vouchers to spend before Tesco Direct closed. is that profligate? The one I am sitting on now is 15 years old.

I am glad that you are getting your money worth out of your sofas. You do not need to justify your purchases to me - you know whether you need a sofa at all and when you need the new one and whether you could find a second hand one to use instead that would fit and you would like etc .
    I was just pointing out environmental impact of which I am not sure not many people are aware - I looked into it when debating with vegan step children and it stunned me. I do not remember the numbers - may look them up again - clothes shopping for £100 every quarter carried hefty impact as well. The worse one is flying though...
    I must say I was walking in the shopping centre yesterday looking at shopping windows and felt sharply how absurd it was for a society to spend so much money and space on so ugly clothes.
    Sorry for digression although I suppose it is linked to the topic- what our priorities are in working and using earned money for .
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    The problem is that retirement is not promised to any of us. All of the planning and hoarding could be for nothing. Like anything else, it is a balance. And when you earn as much as 7k between you after tax then a little leeway should be built in.

I don't think the issue here is spending money though, clearly, expenditure is acceptable in other areas. It is a control issue.

Two adults living together should be able to organise their lives without that level of control being applied.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Two adults living together should be able to organise their lives without that level of control being applied.

Then again, to aim that statement at the poster is in itself dictatorial and.... controlling !
    It seems they have worked out an amenable way of hitting their financial objectives, who are we to criticise?
    None of our business is my view. Far too much Orwell in today's world....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Then again, to aim that statement at the poster is in itself dictatorial and.... controlling !
    It seems they have worked out an amenable way of hitting their financial objectives, who are we to criticise?
    None of our business is my view. Far too much Orwell in today's world....

Have they, or has he?

If you post on here you will garner comment. That is the nature of a forum.
  • Marine_life
    Options
    We have completely pooled our finances for many years, largely because my wife was always running up credit card debt and I was 'lending' here the money to pay it off in full.

I have to say that we neither budget but neither are we spendthrifts.

Our overriding rule is that if we're going to buy something then we should search for and negotiate the best deal possible.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback