Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tips in the pub? I've never seen that in Scotland unless it's a non-chain place that does decent food...
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    I'm 32 years old and I don't have any pension pot. I'm doomed :(

I didn't enter pensionable employment till I was 29. Paid a bit extra from age 32 and will be retiring at 66 most likely.

You're not doomed. Just start NOW, find out how much extra you can add, and you'll get there eventually.;)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    It's funny and inconsistant how I feel about tips. I really do not like them in restaurants unless the service is outstanding. But I always tip food delivery (not Ocado drivers ... :D ) because they don't get much, are I guess desperate or wouldn't be doing it, and they save me going and collecting it. OK, I'll be honest I have a soft spot for food delivery drivers and we are all intitled to irrationality and inconsistancy and I guess I think "there but for the grace of god go I". I know how close I've been. ;)

Jeff

I have to thank anyone that gives a delivery driver a tip!

Though an example of my own irrationality is when I was a delivery driver I would very occasionally get a tip and it would slightly ruffle my feathers because I was doing my job at a rate I had agreed to work for. On the other hand being British,, I would protest and then accept as an outright refusal would offend.

I've thought before that being a food delivery driver is a relatively easy gig, but then perhaps I am thinking that the customers are all as nice as you and I. They probably aren't.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Being american I always tip in restaurants, although I lower my US tip rate to a UK rate (ie 10-13% instead of 15-20%).

I remember when I first came to the UK and tipped, y servers were shocked lol. Now most places they expect a little something, even if a few quid in a pub.

I've been to many a pub but the closest to a tip is to ask the bar staff to have one themselves when you've ordered a complicated and elaborate round. They'll put the cost of the drink aside.

Even then I don't know if a pub that's part of a chain would encourage that.

This country tips more than maybe Scandinavia/Israel/the Netherlands etc. But tipping bar staff is just -marginally- less weird than tipping the police for attending a crime scene.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Bootsox
    Bootsox Posts: 171 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2016 at 6:12AM
    Options
    I very occasionally tip but I always hate myself afterwards for doing it.

Pointless exercise, you order your food, they bring it, you eat it. Some banal chit-chat, why the need for a tip?

If wages are low, that's their problem, they need to review their career choices.

People tip either through guilt, or they are trying to ingratiate themselves with the other person, or they are trying to impress a bird.

All this "exception service" business is nonsense to justify an irrational act. What on earth can be "exceptional" about having a plate of food put in front of you?

Is it on a par with discovering a cure for cancer or something?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why are you discussing tipping in a thread about wanting ER? I keep opening this up hoping for interesting insight into pros and cons of ER and find tedious drivel about tipping? Surely tipping discussion belongs on another board?
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 June 2016 at 8:23AM
    Options
    I read a joke somewhere, people bring food to your table and you tip them 15% others wipe yer backside and put up with abuse and you tip them 0%

OK my version isn't funny but on the original I got the point. We tip very strangely
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    Tips in the pub? I've never seen that in Scotland unless it's a non-chain place that does decent food...

I only go to pubs with decent food
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you discussing tipping in a thread about wanting ER? I keep opening this up hoping for interesting insight into pros and cons of ER and find tedious drivel about tipping? Surely tipping discussion belongs on another board?

Why are you telling us off like naughty children?

Being able to retire early means you should be able to afford tipping.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Being able to retire early means you should be able to afford tipping.

I can afford to tip, but frankly see it as being the job of the establishment to pay its staff and not mine.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback