We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Avoiding food at the bonfire party!
goggle
Posts: 442 Forumite
I have a friend coming to stay for the weekend & if it's not chucking it down we will be going to a bonfire on saturday night - the one in town - we'll need to go out about 5:30pm so prob won't want a main meal before we go, yet I suspect when we're out it'll be the smells of expensive hotdogs/burgers wafting through the air ...
I don't want to appear cheap/penny-pinching to friend who has driven 2 hrs to come & see me (thus paying petrol etc) & I'll be paying for our entrance fee to bonfire but if I can avoid having to pay out for food I don't really enjoy it would be fab - yet it seems so hard when you know you'll be out from say 5:30pm-8:30pm!
goggle
I don't want to appear cheap/penny-pinching to friend who has driven 2 hrs to come & see me (thus paying petrol etc) & I'll be paying for our entrance fee to bonfire but if I can avoid having to pay out for food I don't really enjoy it would be fab - yet it seems so hard when you know you'll be out from say 5:30pm-8:30pm!
goggle
0
Comments
-
Know what you mean. If you have a flask, how about making up some nice hot soup and cheese rolls. I know I would really appreciate it if a friend did that for me. Could borrow a flask if don't have one maybe?
Healthy eating aim per day: 3 fruits, 3 or more vegetables, 3 low-fat dairy portions, 3 starch portions, 2-3 lean protein portions.
Weekly aim: to include 2 portions of fish (one oily), some nuts, seeds, beans and pulses.0 -
I'm in the same situation - I was planning on putting some jacket potatoes in the oven & having some broccoli & cheese or beans and cheese before we go to avoid the temptation of spending money. Is it possible to let your friend know that's what you're doing & would they like a jacket potato as well? They will probably see it as being "homey" rather than cheap iykwim...0
-
Offer her a snack after her drive and tell her you've got soup or chilli or whatever for when you get home, to warm you up. Then she'll probably not want to fill herself up with hot dogs. Or if that fails, tell her you got food poisoning from one of the stalls last year.;)Val.0
-
Out of interest, how much does it cost to go to the display?January GC: £64.81/£80.00
February GC: £24.60£80.000 -
im going to a local display at the scout hut tomorrow (my eldest is a beaver) im taking a flask of soup and a flask of hot chocolate under the buggy my friend is the beaver leader so is fine with this
not sure yet though how to convince my 3 boys they don't need a burger/hot dog Debt free :beer:
Married 15/02/14:D0 -
A quick scran at home before you go, and take a bag of bonfire toffee or sweets for the event, thus avoiding all the burger vans whilst concentrating on the fire and firework display, will be more than adequate. Enjoy yourselves (that costs nothing;)):A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.0 -
Hi Goggle

it's hard for me to understand bonfire night sometimes - in Northern Ireland it's such a political statement come July!
This thread - menu for bonfire night should help
I'll merge this later
thanks
Zip
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
Norn Iron club member #3800 -
I'd eat before you go - chilli and jackets or homemade burgers? Something like that? Have it hot and ready for when she arrives
0 -
thanks all
It's odd that you assumed the friend was female & that they were arriving just before we go out! He's actually male & coming tonight to stay for the weekend! We're going into town tomorrow morning, back here & then out to the bonfire in the evening
Toontron - not sure why it's relevant but the bonfire costs £5 each, but that's not a problem - yes, we could just sit and look out of the window and see a few fire works randomly in the sky, but that's boring & anyway going to the town bonfire is also a bit of nostalgia as the two of us went to this town bonfire party about 15 yrs ago before both moving away & with me having recently moved back to this town we reckoned it might be fun to go again!
I was planning soup for saturday lunch (homemade), so maybe I'll do sandwiches with it & make lunch a bit later and make a bit pot of chilli to come home to ... if it's already made then it'd be a shame to waste it
Zip - Not really sure why you want to merge the two threads as they are fundamentally different questions :huh:0 -
I'd do as you've already decided - later lunch then leave something in the oven for when you get back - knowing tis there will stop you wanting snacks - but there is soemthign abotu the smell of onions from hotdog vans that makes my mouth water, even knowing the food itself will be a disappointment!People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
Ralph Waldo Emerson0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards