We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

chutney help

has any one got any good ideas on how to make chutney need help for xmas fair please :o please also anyone know where to get cheep jamjar from thanks so much x
«1

Comments

  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi mrsgreentoad,

    What kind of chutney are you hoping to make? We have quite a few threads that may help if you let me know.

    You might find something useful here:

    The Complete Jam, Chutney and other Preserves collection

    And this thread may help with finding jars:

    Where to find glass jars?

    Pink
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,839
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hello, I've looked through the collection of threads but can't find an answer to the question I have

    Is there a 'normal' ratio of fruit to vinegar and sugar? Some recipes seem to have 1lb of sugar to 1 pint of vinegar while others seem to have 1/2lb sugar to 1pint of vinegar. From what I can see it doesn't seem to make any difference what type of fruit you are using other than that recipes involving dried fruit seem to use slightly less sugar - but even then it's not consistent betwen recipes.

    I want to make a chutney using apples, dried apricots and dried cranberries and I'm happy to experiment but it would be really helpful if anyone could give me a steer as to how much I need to make sure it will keep

    thanks very much
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2010 at 10:40PM
    Hi there,

    There are so many recipes out there with different ratios of fruit/veg/sugar/vinegar so what I usually do if I don't want to follow a recipe exactly or can't find one to fit whatever ingredients I have knocking about I tend to find whichever recipe is closest and alter it slightly ie: change the mix of fruit or veg but not the quantity so the ratio stays the same (ish) I also change the spices to ones which suit the changed mix better. For your wish list of ingredients I would probably start with a recipe for apple and date chutney as that's dried fruit but use apicot and cranberry in the same quantity instead of the dates and maybe change the spicing depending on what the original recipe uses.

    My next point of call for recipes after I've checked my books is google, I just put in the fruit veg combo I have in and it usually spits something useful out often from www.cottagesmallholder.com

    HTH
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Hi, can't help with the jars but can recommend this recipe:

    :xmassmile Christmas Chutney :xmassmile

    Makes 1.8kg/4lb,
    Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour, Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
    450g/1lb onions, peeled and chopped
    5 tbsp water
    900g/2lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    700g/1½ pears, peeled, cored and chopped
    85g/3oz dates, stoned and chopped
    570ml/1 pint cider vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp cayenne powder
    225g/8oz sugar

    Put the onions and the water in a large heavy-based pan. Bring to the boil and simmer until soft.
    Add the apples and pears and continue cooking gently for 15-20 minutes. Add the dates, salt, spices and half the vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
    Add the sugar and the rest of the vinegar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Continue to simmer until the chutney becomes really thick. Stir occasionally.
    When ready, pot and seal in sterilized jars and leave to mature for a week or longer.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,238
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm making a mishmash chutney right now - I found like you that the quantities vary so wildly so I figured I'd just give it a go...
    I used about 1.5kg of green and ripe alike... 2 large onions, 2 large cooking apples, about 500ml of malt vinegar and 400gr of brown sugar (that's all that I had left lol) and in the spirit of christmas... a mulled wine sachet! :D
    With any luck it'll be lovely! :D
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

    My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • maryb wrote: »
    I want to make a chutney using apples, dried apricots and dried cranberries and I'm happy to experiment but it would be really helpful if anyone could give me a steer as to how much I need to make sure it will keep

    This is an excellent recipe :) She also does one called Dowerhouse, but I can't find that just now :(

    You can easily use that as a base, and go from there :)

    Do shout if you have more questions.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • if you decide to "make it up as you go along" my biggest advice??

    write it down!!!


    last year made all my chutneys & relish
    had a mish mash of stuff left
    bunged it all in a pot, added, tasted, boiled, added
    you get the gist

    result? lush chutney!

    no matter what i do, i cannot re create it:(
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can't help with the chutney LOL but I can help with the jars.
    Frirst off try your local Freecycle Group - someone might have a load to give away.
    failing that then pop down to your local Sainsbury's and buy this
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1288945763026

    It's a lovely big jar and I think you can freeze the contents (sauce isn't too bad all things considered) and at 9p is a real bargain for a brand new large jar :D Can't take credit for this find though, that honour goes to Redruby ;)
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • As above, ask on your local freecycle site for the jars, you'll be surprised what you can find on there!:)
    Apple chutney would probably be a good one to start with as they are in season now and hopefully cheaper, or is there someone nearby who has a tree? you could do a swap, apples for a few jars of chutney.
    Cranberry chutney is seasonal too, but more expensive as fresh berries are not cheap.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,839
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks everybody for all the help. I found that Delia has a recipe for pear and cranberry chutney so I substituted apples for pears and replaced some of the cranberries with apricots. It's looking good so far but the proof of the chutney will be in the eating at Christmas. I'll let you all know
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.