Free fax to email service

Options
Hello
I need to receive faxes occasionally. Does anyone use a free online fax to email service (one that can be used internationally, I believe 0871 numbers would not work)?
thank you!

Comments

• morgani
    morgani Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    You are right I believe in that 0871 numbers will not work for faxes being received from outside the UK. I use faxtastic and have never had a problem with them.

It's about £30 + VAT per year for a geographical number that can receive faxes from outside the UK
    Running challenge 2014 = 689k / 800k
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    morgani wrote: »
    You are right I believe in that 0871 numbers will not work for faxes being received from outside the UK. I use faxtastic and have never had a problem with them.

It's about £30 + VAT per year for a geographical number that can receive faxes from outside the UK

Sounds OK.

I may end up paying, if I need to use it regularly.
    At the moment I've just started a business so I don't want to commit, I don't even know if I actually need a fax service, this may be a one off.
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds OK.

At the moment I've just started a business so I don't want to commit, I don't even know if I actually need a fax service, this may be a one off.

OP try eFax. They have a 30 day free trial. I have used them before and they are good. After the 30 days it costs £7.50 per month, so if you only want the 30 days, be sure to cancel as it auto-rebills.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds OK.

If it is just one customer or supplier it might be worth trying to gently educate them about alternatives. I've had suppliers who have been stuck in their ways and haven't realised that they don't need to print off the form from their computer then fax it across, they can just email it and cut out a couple of steps!

I just use the scan function on my printer then email anything, there hasn't been a real need to use faxes for a few years now. Obviously if it is an important customer you may have to do what they want but it is worth trying to avoid faxes and save your money if you can.
  • dunsdale11
    dunsdale11 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2010 at 5:47PM
    Options
    morgani wrote: »

I also use faxtastic, and am reasonably happy with them, though i am finding more and more numbers i cant fax too.

Get the error message fax machine not responding.

If i run the fax through my old phone fax it works no problem.
    the best repairs go un-noticed
  • RedSoleShoes
    Options
    I use www.voiptalk.org/products/voip-fax-email

It costs me about £3.20/month and you get to choose an area code so it is good if you don't have a landline telephone number, as it can look better on business cards etc.

The minimum term is 3 months I believe so not too long if you decide you don't like it.
  • coupon_collector
    Options
    on the subject of free fax services what is wrong with using an old fashioned fax machine? I know it takes longer than sending an email across or an email fax but if you do not fax often then using a proper fax would work out cheaper over the long run plus did you know by faxing a documnet there is a better chance of someone reading it rather than it ending up in their junk box or simply being just deleted.

I am thinking of starting up a fax marketing campaign as it works out 2p a fax if I use a company versus direct mail which is 27p a time. Does anyone have any experience or advice on fax marketing or direct mail?
  • terra_ferma
    Options
    on the subject of free fax services what is wrong with using an old fashioned fax machine? I know it takes longer than sending an email across or an email fax but if you do not fax often then using a proper fax would work out cheaper over the long run plus did you know by faxing a documnet there is a better chance of someone reading it rather than it ending up in their junk box or simply being just deleted.

I am thinking of starting up a fax marketing campaign as it works out 2p a fax if I use a company versus direct mail which is 27p a time. Does anyone have any experience or advice on fax marketing or direct mail?

Can't see the relevance of your post to this thread....?

If using a virtual fax service does not suit your business it does not mean that the same applies to mine.
    I don't want to buy a fax machine for the odd fax, even more importantly my business it almost totally paperless and I don't like receiving bits of paper that I would have to scan
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you considered using a fax modem to receive faxes direct to your pc?

Depending on the age of your pc, it may even have one already fitted. If not, you could probably pick one up (used) for pennies nowadays :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Have you considered using a fax modem to receive faxes direct to your pc?

Depending on the age of your pc, it may even have one already fitted. If not, you could probably pick one up (used) for pennies nowadays :)

Looked into that but the phone line is not near my pc, the online option seems the best option for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure