Halifax Clarity Credit Card--Does this sound right to you?

Hi

I wonder if you could help me with something, i phones the Halifax this afternoon to advise them we were going abroad and to mark the cards we use so that the system wouldnt reject them.

At the end of that the advisor said would you be interested in a Halifax Clarity Card, i explained possibly yes but stated that id applied for a halifax card in June and was rejected. I would not want another credit search only to be rejected again!!. The agent said that wouldnt be the case but i asked her to double check before i went ahead. Again stated that no external credit check would be made so i went ahead, they already had my data and asked me to confirm my employment etc, at which point he said im pleased to say you have been accepted for the Halifax Clarity Card at 12.9% with a limit of £6,500..i was quite surprised at this really!!.

What i wanted to know was she said i needed to call into the branch for which she made me an appointment on Wednesday next week, i asked what this was for and she said it was to sign the credit card agreement.

I have never called into branch before to sign a card agreement, is it normal to do this??? iu asked if i needed to take any id and she said i ws fully id verified and said once id signed the agreement the card would be with me in 5-10 days.

Please can someone explain if the above sounds normal and why was i rejected in June and now accepted without an external credit check today.

Many Thanks Mary

Comments

• Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi

I wonder if you could help me with something, i phones the Halifax this afternoon to advise them we were going abroad and to mark the cards we use so that the system wouldnt reject them.

At the end of that the advisor said would you be interested in a Halifax Clarity Card, i explained possibly yes but stated that id applied for a halifax card in June and was rejected. I would not want another credit search only to be rejected again!!. The agent said that wouldnt be the case but i asked her to double check before i went ahead. Again stated that no external credit check would be made so i went ahead, they already had my data and asked me to confirm my employment etc, at which point he said im pleased to say you have been accepted for the Halifax Clarity Card at 12.9% with a limit of £6,500..i was quite surprised at this really!!.

What i wanted to know was she said i needed to call into the branch for which she made me an appointment on Wednesday next week, i asked what this was for and she said it was to sign the credit card agreement.

I have never called into branch before to sign a card agreement, is it normal to do this??? iu asked if i needed to take any id and she said i ws fully id verified and said once id signed the agreement the card would be with me in 5-10 days.

Please can someone explain if the above sounds normal and why was i rejected in June and now accepted without an external credit check today.

Many Thanks Mary

Maybe they are doing this now because of all the CCA people trying to get their debts wiped off. It might also be that they might want to give you the hard sell on other products too.
  • Orville wrote: »
    Maybe they are doing this now because of all the CCA people trying to get their debts wiped off. It might also be that they might want to give you the hard sell on other products too.

oh i see so you mean to make sure i fully read and understand the credit agreement you mean??, so i assume i have been accepted then????? is that right ?? they cant sell us anything else as we have all our products with them !!
  • Orville
    im not trying to get debts wiped off at all, so i assume i have been accepted then????? is that right ?? they cant sell us anything else as we have all our products with them !!

Hi, i'm not saying you are trying to get debts wiped at all :). it's just that there are so many that are at the moment they maybe getting extra cautious and getting people to come into the branch to sign. I am more then likely way off with my guess so don't even worry about it. Be prepared for the hard sell etc, that does usually happen if you go into the branch. Did you ask for insurance with it..? If not they may try to get you to signup to that.
  • Orville wrote: »
    Hi, i'm not saying you are trying to get debts wiped at all :). it's just that there are so many that are at the moment they maybe getting extra cautious and getting people to come into the branch to sign. I am more then likely way off with my guess so don't even worry about it. Be prepared for the hard sell etc, that does usually happen if you go into the branch. Did you ask for insurance with it..? If not they may try to get you to signup to that.

no insurance with it and i understand what you mean now so ive edited it:T, we have seperate policies for cards etc elsewhere :-)

do you think ive been accepted then, yes i know they told me i had and the limit but im still surprised :-) and just checked experian and no credit search so they must be right , can still see the one from june when i was rejected!!.
  • Orville
    no insurance with it and i understand what you mean now so ive edited it:T, we have seperate policies for cards etc elsewhere :-)

do you think ive been accepted then, yes i know they told me i had and the limit but im still surprised :-)

Well i can't see why anything would change if they have told you so. Just be aware that after you telling me you haven't got insurance they don't try to convience you into getting it to be accepted for the loan.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oh i see so you mean to make sure i fully read and understand the credit agreement you mean??, so i assume i have been accepted then????? is that right ?? they cant sell us anything else as we have all our products with them !!

It's because if you apply online you sign digitally.

You can't sign a contract over the phone ;)

Same thing happened for my HSBC Credit Card; applied for the current account online and got a call few days later to say I'd been approved for their credit card too did I want it. Took them up on the offer and had to sign and return a paper agreement :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • izools wrote: »
    It's because if you apply online you sign digitally.

You can't sign a contract over the phone ;)

Same thing happened for my HSBC Credit Card; applied for the current account online and got a call few days later to say I'd been approved for their credit card too did I want it. Took them up on the offer and had to sign and return a paper agreement :o

yes our other cards were all sent the credit agreements through the post signed and returned them in the post as well?

Why do you think they didnt just send it to me in the post like the others then? its not a problem going into the branch really just wondering?.

Do you know why they didnt do an external credit check, all my other applications for cards over the years took at least 10 minutes or more to complete,this one only took less than 2 minutes before she said i had been accepted?? and all the other cards had experian and equifax checks done but not this one?
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    1) Just how they work; some banks post you the agreement some sign in branch, HSBC give you the option either / or
    2) Because you'd been pre-approved based on the good running of your current account.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    yes our other cards were all sent the credit agreements through the post signed and returned them in the post as well?

Why do you think they didnt just send it to me in the post like the others then? its not a problem going into the branch really just wondering?.

Normally they'll send you the agreement in the post to sign, and you can then either post it back to them in the pre-paid envelope, or take it into a branch.

I assume that your holiday is fairly soon? It's quicker to complete the application in the branch (as the advisor can key it directly onto the system, rather than having to wait for two lots of post - one for them to send it to you, and the other to go back). So doing it this way means you have a better chance of getting your card before you go away.
    Do you know why they didnt do an external credit check, all my other applications for cards over the years took at least 10 minutes or more to complete,this one only took less than 2 minutes before she said i had been accepted?? and all the other cards had experian and equifax checks done but not this one?

Halifax get a monthly feed of your credit report data automatically, as you already have your current account with them. They can just use the info from this to pre-approve you for a credit card. So in effect they've already decided that they're happy for you to have a card.
  • rb10 wrote: »
    Normally they'll send you the agreement in the post to sign, and you can then either post it back to them in the pre-paid envelope, or take it into a branch.

I assume that your holiday is fairly soon? It's quicker to complete the application in the branch (as the advisor can key it directly onto the system, rather than having to wait for two lots of post - one for them to send it to you, and the other to go back). So doing it this way means you have a better chance of getting your card before you go away.

Halifax get a monthly feed of your credit report data automatically, as you already have your current account with them. They can just use the info from this to pre-approve you for a credit card. So in effect they've already decided that they're happy for you to have a card.

When you say key my application do you mean i have to go through the motions of giving my details all over again when i go into branch or will i just sign.The call centre adviser seemed to think i would just sign the agreement or something like that i think she said??.

Also they told me my limit at the end of the application, how do they decide this and is it normal for them to tell you at the end of teh application as all my other cards i was told when the cards arrived?

Thankyou. Mary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport