PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon stock

Comments

• If it seems very salty when you come to use it, you can put a potatoe in it and let it simmer for a while and it will absorb a lot of the salt. Definately don't throw it away as it makes great soup.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Use it to make either bean or pea soup, with a few scraps of the meat thrown in.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    If you soak the gammon first ,it gets rid of some of the salt but if its already cooked you can add potato to counteract the salt ,make it a pea,ham and potato soup
  • freebiequennie
    freebiequennie Posts: 1,600
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    we used ours last weekend to make a soup after boiling a gammon hock. added carrots, onion, potato and peas and brought back to boil and simmered for 20mins then blended with hand blender - yummy.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 August 2009 at 6:45PM
    BOILED HAM plus PEA & HAM SOUP

If you are going to boil a ham joint, why not make some pea & ham soup as well.

For 4 servings of soup

INGREDIENTS
    1 ham joint
    1 litre of water
    250g box of dried peas
    Ground black pepper to taste

METHOD

Rinse the ham in cold water, then soak the ham in cold water for at least 6 hours, changing the water once or twice if it is very salty, or according to any cooking instructions. If you are using dried peas, soak them in water according to the instructions.

Put the ham into a large saucepan and cover with fresh water. If you are using soaked dried peas, add them now. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering).

Put the lid on the saucepan and cook according to the cooking instructions on the ham. Remove any salty white scum, which will probably form on the surface of the water. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

Remove the ham. Adjust the amount of water, if necessary, to the required quantity of soup.

If you are using fresh, frozen or tinned peas, add them now. Continue cooking until the peas are soft. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

If you have a food processor, put the soup in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the soup and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the soup through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy.

Season with the pepper. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

You can use dried, fresh, frozen or tinned peas. However, dried peas have to be soaked in advance.

Shred some of the ham and add it to the soup before serving.

Omit the ham and make pea soup.

TIPS

Pea soup can be any consistency from a thin liquid with soft peas floating in it to a thick paste you can stand a spoon up in.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    we used ours last weekend to make a soup after boiling a gammon hock. added carrots, onion, potato and peas and brought back to boil and simmered for 20mins then blended with hand blender - yummy.

I do a soup very similar to freebies but I put in loads of soaked pulses (brothmix/split peas/lentils whatever you've got) too. It makes a fabulous thick, soup which you can water down to suit
  • lbt_2
    lbt_2 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Hi

I have a huge piece of gammon in my slow cooker with celery, carrots, onions, bay leaves and peppercorns.

Is there anything I can do with the stock that it is cooking in? I have put a lot of boiling water in (so that the gammon is just covered).

Could I use it for soup? Or something else?

It smells so lovely that I don't want to waste it.

• hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mmm pea soup is great with ham stock. I just add a couple carrots.and onions, a bag of split peas and the stock, then blitz it when cooked. doesn't look the prettiest, but tastes very good
  • I use it for lentil and bacon soup ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Lentil and vegetable soup(250g red lentils, onion, a large carrot and a large parsnip chopped quite small +1 litre of stock) . I would check how salty the stock is first in case it needs diluting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure