We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: SSE puts gas prices up: will others follow suit?

Options

Comments

• DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    well , its mainly because the people who run them are absolute scum
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DGJsaver wrote: »
    well , its mainly because the people who run them are absolute scum

Fantastic. And for all these years I thought that supply & demand would have an effect on prices.
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    SwanJon wrote: »
    Fantastic. And for all these years I thought that supply & demand would have an effect on prices.

I was specifically referring to the increase in winter , decrease in summer....they make enough cash as it is.......hardly supply and demand relevant compared to anything luxurious.....this is a basic need....
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DGJsaver wrote: »
    I was specifically referring to the increase in winter , decrease in summer.......hardly supply and demand

Gas.
    Used a lot more in winter, therefore greater demand.
    More used, therefore less supply.

It's never as simple as that though, nor as simple as the media makes it.
  • markharding557
    Options
    teddyco wrote: »
    The Labour Government never did anything to force energy companies to pass their savings on to the customer,
    we'll see if David Cameron's government can do any better?
    I would not bank on it and of course the others will follow
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    Whilst I understand the anger at energy companies this industry is probably more complex than it first appears. Looking just at the wholesale cost doesn't give the whole story, a bit like saying the cost of borrowing to UK banks is half a per cent.

There are other costs involved and, for what its worth, the reason why I think prices will rise in future is this obession with green energy. Any of the prices per unit I've seen for people to generate electricity have been higher than what most power companies are charging per unit for electricity.

There's also the cost of smart meters to pay for, the carbon emissions reduction stuff (which I've sort of touched on above), and the massive investment needed in new power stations largely caused by the previous government sitting on its hands.

The one positive snipped I have picked up is I think the UK has or is getting the capacity to store more gas, this is a must as our own reserves continue to run down.

I agree the timing of the changes sucks BTW and looks very cold and calculating.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Horrid news, nasty putting up as Winter is on the way,

I hope Ebico do not pass on the increase!!
    I stick with Ebico cos they have no tiers and I am a low user 9/12 (but it can work both ways as they can delay/not pass on any reductions)

I am already planning to use my snug rug and shower away from home to save gas!!!
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst I understand the anger at energy companies this industry is probably more complex than it first appears. Looking just at the wholesale cost doesn't give the whole story, a bit like saying the cost of borrowing to UK banks is half a per cent.

There are other costs involved and, for what its worth, the reason why I think prices will rise in future is this obession with green energy. Any of the prices per unit I've seen for people to generate electricity have been higher than what most power companies are charging per unit for electricity.

There's also the cost of smart meters to pay for, the carbon emissions reduction stuff (which I've sort of touched on above), and the massive investment needed in new power stations largely caused by the previous government sitting on its hands.

The one positive snipped I have picked up is I think the UK has or is getting the capacity to store more gas, this is a must as our own reserves continue to run down.

I agree the timing of the changes sucks BTW and looks very cold and calculating.

Totally agree with you.

Operating costs are an area I have observed that cost them a fortune. The industry (for elec) is quite complex compared to others I've seen. This added complexity makes for a large amount of overlapping processes and Suppliers have a need for continuous improvement to reduce it all. However, service industries are only making that move more recently so these companies are still a bit stone age when it comes to reducing waste.

Add into that all the cost for Smart metering...which I mean all the additional operating costs for updating all those customer accounts and everything that can go wrong with a meter change.

Add in all the Suppliers using complex industry processes to shift their business to new agencies with less knowledge of operating in these areas, etc, etc.

People always think it's about the cost of energy. If it were, then gas prices would dip as they did when the energy was bought. Same with elec. They don't. The one constant that does remain is the large investment in other projects and the enourmous industry waste factor that keep costs static.

To get costs down, there needs to be something from a regulatory angle that says they need to observe the lessons of manufacturing and deal with the massive waste costs. Thats a shorter team positive saving.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Are Atlantic increasing the prices aswel being part of SSE?

MS
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Atlantic Gas Prices is due to increase on 01/12. I am currently on Atlantic Standard Online Tariff with standaing charge.

Just been looking at my last 12 months usage:-

Gas: 17313.60 = £612.46[FONT=&quot] (Yearly according to Atlantic on my last Bill)[/FONT]
    Electric:
    [FONT=&quot]2213.54 = £302.80 (Yearly according to Atlantic on my last Bill)

Not happy of the increase and been looking at fixed tariff. Npower sign online 20 gives me savings of £141 - other hand Atlanticn Fixed Price 3 gives me Savings of £72.

Any suggestions?

Also when I spoke with Atlantic Customer Service they told me that if I move to Fixed tariff I will loose my Annual rebate which is average of my 12 monthly DD payments - but according to Energyhelpline it states :--

[/FONT]Monthly direct debit customers receive a one month rebate after being with Atlantic Electric & Gas for a year. This is equivalent to an 8.33% discount on the annual bill.

Not sure who is giving me correct infor Atlantic or [FONT=&quot]Energyhelplin?

Currently I have a spreadsheet works I use to work out my bills. My present tariff has one unit charge whatever amount of kwh is used so I find that easier to calc on the spreadsheet.

Any Spreadsheet available which auto calc the bills by entering the details in?

Thanks

MS[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family