MSE News: SSE puts gas prices up: will others follow suit?

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:
Read the full story:
SSE puts gas prices up: will others follow?

OfficialStamp.gif

P.S. Sorry for the disappearance of the previous thread, there was a slight technical hitch!

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I posted on the previous thread, this isn't the first real price hike. Ovo Energy have just raised the price for everyone on their variable tariff.
  • SimpleDave_2
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    As I posted on the previous thread, this isn't the first real price hike. Ovo Energy have just raised the price for everyone on their variable tariff.

You are right to a certain extent, but this will affect 3.6m customers, the OVO one will affect a couple of thousand. rather a large difference
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE News: SSE puts gas prices up: will others follow suit?

Ebico, who use SSE as their supply partner, and 'benchmark' their price movements against those of SSE, have posted on facebook to say that despite SSE raising their prices, Ebico have no intentions at this time to raise their own ... but will advise if they change their mind later. :cool:

Full statement from Ebico says:
    Our partner Scottish and Southern Energy has increased their gas price by 9.4%.
    At this point-in-time we have no plans to increase ours, but will let you know as-soon-as possible, if we do. Wholesale gas prices industry-wide have been rising over the past few months, but we are seeking to avoid passing these increased costs onto customers, if at all possible.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ebico-Ltd/112467313920
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry you are correct this is the first "Big Six" price hike - we'll amend the news article - its my fault on the short cut
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If "Wholesale gas prices industry-wide have been rising over the past few months" why are there any retail increases at all. As the energy companies have constantly told us "we buy upto 2 years in advance", therefore we should still have 18 months or so of cheaply bought energy to go before any retail prices increases.
  • sofa-spud
    Options
    If "Wholesale gas prices industry-wide have been rising over the past few months" why are there any retail increases at all. As the energy companies have constantly told us "we buy upto 2 years in advance", therefore we should still have 18 months or so of cheaply bought energy to go before any retail prices increases.
    Exactly, this is the very excuse they trot out every time wholesale prices fall...
    Really needs Jeremy Paxman/Vine types to pin them down on these excuses when they are interviewed. Unlike Fern Brittens lame performance when standing in for Vine on his radio 2 slot a few(last year?) months back...
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options

Yeah, and you don't see the utilities dropping prices when the gas price was lower.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • maddipops
    Options
    I dont know if scottish power's tariff's been withdrawn yet, but it includes boiler care and 4 year fixed prices at a pretty decent cost, everyone should jump on that if it's still available.

Can't remember what the tariff's called!!! ARGH!!
  • maddipops
    Options
    it's called Platinum fixed, and it's still available on their website, fixed till 2014
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    why is it prices seem to go up when demand is strong and then come Spring prices drop For past 2 years I have noticed this trend. There is suppose to be a large lag as they buy well in advance or so they claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure