Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Winter Fuel Rebate - British Gas Question?

Unfortunately I cant find the original post, but at the beginning of the year I noticed a thread in regards to a £60 rebate from British Gas for people on certain benefits. I passed the details on to my Mum and she made a claim.

BUT she has never received any such rebate, despite being told she was eligable. :mad:

Does anyone have any further information, or know when the rebates should be paid? From my own recollection I believe that the winter fuel rebate was to be paid in two £30 installments ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Some days you're the bird......and some days you're the statue :cool:

Replies

• BugginsBuggins Forumite
    344 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi CheekyMonkey,
    I have had exactly the same problem with rebate. Applied last December and it was going to be paid in two instalments - phoned in April and was told it would be set against my next bill - phoned in July and was assured that it would be set against my next bill (there had been glitches with the system) - phoned in September as still not applied and have now been told that a refund has been manually given to the account. Won't know until next bill whether it has or not. My advice would be to phone and query as soon as possible - and make sure that she is registered for the forthcoming year at the same time.
    Hope this helps.
    Buggins
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had a problem getting one of the gas rebates & each time I phoned to complain I was told it would be taken off the next bill. When after 2 more bills it still hadn't been credited I phoned again & was flabergasted when the girl told me the government had run out of money so that was why I wasn't getting it. :confused: I told her it was absolutely nothing to do with government money but was funded by the big profits BG were making, but she was insistant the money came from the government & had now all been used up so tough luck for me. :mad: I also got a bit of lecture from her about how BG is losing money & certainly not making any profit. :rotfl:

I then managed to sort out my original confirmation letter & phoned the number on that & the person I spoke to was shocked to hear what I'd been told by this girl & asked me for details so he could issue a complaint. He also asked if I could recall who I'd spoken to on the previous 2 occasions when I'd been promised my rebate would be on the next bill, but I hadn't made a note of who I'd spoken to.

He said to leave it with him & he'd ensure I'd get the rebate due to me & a couple of weeks later I received a letter of apology which stated my rebate had now been applied to my forthcoming bill.

Here's the number for the rebate scheme, give them a call & get it sorted out. The rebate increases this year & is a total of £60 over 2 gas bills & £30 for electricity over 2 bills. 0845 601 2006
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • when are the 2 rebaites due to be paid this year?
  • linda-annlinda-ann Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was on the phone to them this morning as I have both gas and electric from BG.This means £15 rebate off electric and £30 off gas on two quarters bills.I was originally told the rebates would be off the last bill of this year and the first bill of 2007, as no rebates were off this quarters bills I rang up and was told they would be off the next 2 quarterly bills .So for me thats Jan and April hope this helps.:)
    YouGov :) £50.....2/09/09
    YovGov :) £50....11/03/11
    YouGov :) £50....10/08/12
    YouGov :) £50....15/11/13
    YouGov :) £50....15/12/14
  • maypolemaypole Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hello

Who do you phone for the rebate and where can I find the list of benefits that you need to be on to be eligible.

Thanks
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you read my post you'll see the number to contact.

Here's the list of qualifying benefits.
    Who is eligible?

The rebate is available to dual fuel and single fuel customers.

To qualify for the rebate customers must be in receipt of at least one of the following benefits:

Disability Living Allowance
    Pension Credit
    Attendance Allowance
    War Disablement Pension, which includes either a Mobility Supplement or Constant Attendance Allowance
    Disablement Pension, which includes Constant Attendance Allowance
    Carer's Allowance
    Severe Disability Allowance
    Child Tax Credit and with an annual household income of £14,600 or less
    Working Tax Credit and with an annual household income of £14,600 or less
    Council Tax Benefit
    Housing Benefit
    Income Support
    Income based Job Seeker's Allowance
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • maypolemaypole Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hello there

Excellent!

Thanks for that, sorry I hadn't seen the phone number, got it now.

Best wishes
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Rebate scheme is now closed to new applicants
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Have found my letter this is what it says,Were delighted to tell you over the course of this winter you will recieve a total rebate of £90 in the form of two seperate CREDITS on your 2006/2007 gas/elec bills,thats a total of £30 off your electricity and £60 off your gas,
    You will recieve one credit on your last bill this year* and one on your first bill next year**
    There is no need for you to contact us,as this will happen automatically
    (if your lucky,my words)
    In the meantime ,if you would like more information on other ways that we could help .please see overleaf,
    then it says on the back ,IF YOU ARE ON ANY BENIFITS.
    * If you recieve a bill in the last few days,you may have already recieved your last bill of this year.In which ase the rebate will be applied to your account and we will write to you to confirm this has happened.
  • maypole wrote:
    Hello

Who do you phone for the rebate and where can I find the list of benefits that you need to be on to be eligible.

Thanks
    phone 0845-601-2123 or visit us on https://www.house.co.uk/homeenergycare
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard