BBC2 9pm Tonight - Wonderland Mad Cats and Englishwomen

Options

Comments

• geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2010 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Personally, I found it very disturbing to watch - most of those cats looked miserable and unhappy - what sort of a life were any of them having?

The looks on their sorry little faces - that isn't 'rescuing' an animal! - it is only prolonging the neglect and increasing the distress! Sorry, but that is my opinion on what I saw.

That's a valid point, and certainly it did cross my mind, particularly in the case of the 70 year old woman (Pat?) as she seemed happy to keep the cats in her home and there was no effort made at re-homing them (or if there was, it wasn't shown). I don't think their conditions were very sanitary (there were things crawling over the walls, and she shouldn't be letting the cats walk on the cooker!)

However, ultimately the peope responsible for the cats being in that condition are the people who take them on and then abandon them when the going gets rough, or if they can't be bothered with them anymore. Yes, there are a lot of cats in rescue centres but whilst they are there, there is always hope of them finding a loving new home.
    And if Celia (or whatever her name is) is such a caring professional then WHY THE HELL was that poor, poor kitten allowed to die like that, on camera, being prodded and moved around as it took its dying gasps - there was no need for the poor thing to die like that, and CERTAINLY no need for it to be broadcast on tv.

It was upsetting but if it makes people think, it was worthwhile. The fact that a kitten can die for something as seemingly insignificant and preventable as a flea infestation is a message worth getting across. I don't think it was being "prodded" at all - she was very gentle and loving with it, and at least it had someone there with it at the end instead of being left to die under a tree in a cardboard box.
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 October 2010 at 11:09AM
    Options
    That prog had me in tears.

I've 2 rescues from Celia's and volunteered there for a short while but the plight of so many homeless cats was to much for me to cope with, I wanted to bring them all home with me, especially the ones that were old, injured or were for one reason or another going to find themselves at the back of the rehoming queue. Celia never gives up on a cat, many are with her for months while she tries to find them a home.

Was I the only one to notice that the kitten who died had bandaging on it's front leg? It will have been on a drip but sometimes it is just too late.

What partly came over in the documentary, but not fully, is just how dedicated Celia is. She will spend all day in the clinic then go out trapping ferals for most of the night. She often genuinely doesn't remember when she last ate, but continually worries about where the money is going to come from to feed and home the cats (and often, some dogs). I'd never known the place to be anything less than bursting at the seams.

What was wonderful to see was the effect Celia has on a frightened cat. It is amazing to watch in real time. So very often there were cats brought in that no-one could handle, yet Celia was able to handle them within moments, giving them meds, getting them to purr even.

I agree with MrsE's view of the death of the kitten. It told it as it is in there time after time after time.

If you can, adopt a cat from Celia, if you cannot adopt, please, please donate.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WillowCat wrote: »
    My beautiful Willow watched the programme with me. He normally snoozes when I watch TV but he watched intently for the whole hour. He only took his eyes off of the TV twice, once when they put the lovely Ginger Tom to sleep, he gave himself a quick distraction wash, and when the little kitten died he just looked at me. Don't know if that was because of the kitten or because I was in tears.

He's a pampered Maine Coon and I think he now has a little bit of an idea of how lucky he is.

Those poor, poor cats.

Totally semi-related (will watch the prog when I find it on catch-up TV), but Suki used to be hooked on Animal Hospital - would come running when she heard the theme tune, and then vanish when Eastenders came on afterwards.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • dizzydaydreams
    Options
    I was in tears also, It will stay with me for a long time. I hope my cats know how lucky they are too, I've just taken on a stray from a near-by farm that didn't want him. I really hope people start to take excellent care of their pets after seeing this : (
  • boombap
    boombap Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I had mixed views on the show to be honest - mainly that it was just another modern day 'freak show' dressed up to make the BBC look socially responsible.

Definately don't fancy Dagenham for next years holiday though!

S.
  • CatMad1_2
    Options
    Interesting perspective on it all really, I see the work of these 2 women daily, I am one of the many workers at Celia Hammond.

Lots of footage was filmed like with any program but not all can make it to a one hour show.

Animal Welfare is a dire situation across the world, I have worked now for 3 animal charities and the lack of knowledge/stupidity/cruelness shown by some human beings never ceases to amaze me.

The real message of this program was shown, it shows that there is some real issues with animal welfare, specifically related to cats and I think that was shown.

And if Celia (or whatever her name is) is such a caring professional then WHY THE HELL was that poor, poor kitten allowed to die like that, on camera, being prodded and moved around as it took its dying gasps - there was no need for the poor thing to die like that, and CERTAINLY no need for it to be broadcast on tv.

Yes, it did highlight a massive problem, but I found the whole thing pretty disgusting to be honest.

Celia is her name, and sadly the whole story wasn't shown, all day that kitten had recieved veterinary treatment, the cat had recieved all medication it could have including pain relief, you saw the last 3 minutes and I believe the editor showed it to get the message across, I can tell you now this hurt all the staff as we tried so hard to give 2 kittens a fair chance that some despicable human being had just dumped. Watch it again, the cat was visibally receiving veterinary treatment (has a drip connected).

My last thoughts on that, is maybe it will make more people aware of the problems that is massive, maybe it will make some people go and adopt from a rescue centre. Whatever it is whenever you look at it how many of you can say you would do what these women do, both have given over their lives to it, as said before Celia works day and Night, she will never give up.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    CatMad1, I have nothing but admiration for people like you and Celia. You do a fantastic job, and if there were more people like you in the world it would truly be a better place.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 October 2010 at 3:08PM
    Options
    CatMad1 wrote: »
    and sadly the whole story wasn't shown, all day that kitten had recieved veterinary treatment, the cat had recieved all medication it could have including pain relief, you saw the last 3 minutes and I believe the editor showed it to get the message across, I can tell you now this hurt all the staff as we tried so hard to give 2 kittens a fair chance that some despicable human being had just dumped. Watch it again, the cat was visibally receiving veterinary treatment (has a drip connected).

Thank you for confirming that. The drip was clearly visible. :)

edit: fwiw I did not find showing the death reprehensible. Far from it. I think we should be more outraged about the horrors that neglect and failure to neuter (selling or giving kittens away who themselves might be neglected, or the parents of neglected cats ...once out of your control it doesn't matter how much you care) can lead to.
    Whatever it is whenever you look at it how many of you can say you would do what these women do, both have given over their lives to it, as said before Celia works day and Night, she will never give up.
    I'm finding the one feral cat I've got inside (and the 2-5 outside) ATM a constant worry TBH - I'm in awe of coping with so many, despite having been involved in animal rescue before (not cats!) and having had a career where animal welfare was a recurrent issue but I think the point made about the standards of care of many rescued animals IS relevant.

I'll be honest and say I found the other woman...Pat?, filming of rehoming the kitten breathtakingly awful. And the footage of her home/cats' living situation. Although her heart is obviously very, very much in the right place for those cats I think she was right to realise she had overstretched herself, but she seemed to realise how SHE was suffering and not that the overcrowded situation couldn't be that fun for the cats either. I cried for her when she had her cat Tom put down, and don't by any means think she's trying to do other than her best. But...basic things...like feeding those cats tuna daily....rescuers themselves need to be reading up on things like animal nutrition and behaviour.

Loving them isn't enough, and I think the attempts to fight the overwhelming tide of irresponsibility and cruelty is truly admirable, but to me their was a clear difference between what Celia Hammond is trying to do and what Pat was doing: though again I reiterate I think both are laudable in their desire to do well.

I have to say I was also extremely worried for Celia Hammond going to places alone to rescue cats. The man in the first floor flat who had chased his wife with a knife...thank goodness the tv crew were there...but what about when they are not? I hope she carries a suitable alarm and leaves memos bout where she is going and has a check protocol when she is collecting.
  • RacyRed
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope C.H.A.T. won't mind me quoting this comment about the documentary from their website.
    The scale of the unwanted and stray cat problem is immense - there are stray cats and kittens on virtually every street and daily more unwanted pets are abandoned by people for whom cats are worthless. We had high hopes that this documentary would provide a glimpse of the soul destroying rescue work we carry out on a daily basis - however this aspect of our work was not shown and we feel that the sheer enormity of the task we face in rescuing thousands of animals every year and trying to promote the message of responsible pet ownership and in particular the importance of neutering across to the local population wasn't really addressed. C.H.A.T is very much a proactive rather than a reactive charity.

You can read more HERE

lostinrates, I share your concern for Celia. I shuddered while she drank tea with that guy as he tried it on with her. There were insects running up and down the wall behind her!

I think, and maybe CatMad1 (thank you for signing up and posting, CatMad1) can confirm this, that Celia is usually accompanied on rescues?
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
  • RacyRed
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    CatMad1, I have nothing but admiration for people like you and Celia. You do a fantastic job, and if there were more people like you in the world it would truly be a better place.

I couldn't agree with this more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family