BBC2 9pm Tonight - Wonderland Mad Cats and Englishwomen

catlou
catlou Posts: 679
First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 27 October 2010 at 6:36PM in Pets & pet care
Documentary about Celia Hammond & Pat? who has her own personal "army" of cats!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vn1w4

Comments

• geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    This programme is making me really angry - some people should not be allowed to have pets.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Talk about the dregs of society, they deal with some right fraggles:eek:
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    How sad was that at the end :(

I couldn't do that job.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My beautiful Willow watched the programme with me. He normally snoozes when I watch TV but he watched intently for the whole hour. He only took his eyes off of the TV twice, once when they put the lovely Ginger Tom to sleep, he gave himself a quick distraction wash, and when the little kitten died he just looked at me. Don't know if that was because of the kitten or because I was in tears.

He's a pampered Maine Coon and I think he now has a little bit of an idea of how lucky he is.

Those poor, poor cats.
  • made me cry and kiss my very much loved 18 year old tabby and cuddle my old and very smelly ginger tom phoebie is refusing to come in after watching the cuddles i tried to get on her site to donate but couldnt get on
  • 925dancer
    925dancer Posts: 537 Forumite
    Being someone who has fostered for rescue, knows a lot of those who work in rescue and slave to two very spoiled moggies this programme made me cry like a baby and angry all at once.

Every numpty who breeds their pet for whatever tenuous reason then posts them on free ads or dumps them on some already overstretched rescue should be made to watch this programme.

I'm forever on my soap box and this show illustrates exactly why. The saddest thing of all? This show couldn't even begin to scratch the surface of the enormity of the problem.
  • EmptyPockets
    EmptyPockets Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2010 at 6:22AM
    I knew I'd come on here this morning and find a mention of this 'documentary'.

Personally, I found it very disturbing to watch - most of those cats looked miserable and unhappy - what sort of a life were any of them having?

The looks on their sorry little faces - that isn't 'rescuing' an animal! - it is only prolonging the neglect and increasing the distress! Sorry, but that is my opinion on what I saw.

And if Celia (or whatever her name is) is such a caring professional then WHY THE HELL was that poor, poor kitten allowed to die like that, on camera, being prodded and moved around as it took its dying gasps - there was no need for the poor thing to die like that, and CERTAINLY no need for it to be broadcast on tv.

Yes, it did highlight a massive problem, but I found the whole thing pretty disgusting to be honest.
    "Your life is what your thoughts make it"

"If you can't bite, don't show your teeth!"
    :cry: R.i.P our beautiful girl Suki. We'll love and miss you forever :cry:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Personally, I found it very disturbing to watch - most of those cats looked miserable and unhappy - what sort of a life were any of them having?

The looks on their sorry little faces - that isn't 'rescuing' an animal! - it is only prolonging the neglect and increasing the distress! Sorry, but that is my opinion on what I saw.

And if Celia (or whatever her name is) is such a caring professional then WHY THE HELL was that poor, poor kitten allowed to die like that, on camera, being prodded and moved around as it took its dying gasps - there was no need for the poor thing to die like that, and CERTAINLY no need for it to be broadcast on tv.

Yes, it did highlight a massive problem, but I found the whole thing pretty disgusting to be honest.

I guess Celia did it to really smack home how sad & desperate it all was.

At first I found it like pet rehoming Jeremy Kyle style, some really odd people, not fit to look after a goldfish! Then it turned sad, dark & almost hopeless.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    I agree with MrsE, I think they did it to hammer home how desperate the situation was. I didn't see the poor kitten's death in the same way as you though, empty, sorry. I couldn't believe the stats about half of London's cats being on the streets, unbelievable.
    My cat was transfixed too, i think it was the meows, she was very concerned when any kittens were meowing.
    Good timing too as there was a lot of coverage of the opening of Battersea's new Cattery on the local news here too.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

I watch a lot of programmes about animals that need treatment and always when a kitten has a heavy flea infestation and is very anaemic it is given fluids and even a blood transfusion.Just killing the fleas was not enough.Did they not have a vet on site that could have at least tried? Yes it was sad and highlighted the neglect that happens but i do feel that more could have been done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure