Notifying SLC of move abroad - late fines?

*srjp*
*srjp* Posts: 47 Forumite
edited 4 November 2010 at 8:44AM in Student MoneySaving
Hoping for some 'tricky situation' advice please.

I have a second generation student loan dating from around ten years ago and have just downloaded the form to notify the Student Loans Company of my emigration to another EU country.

The timing
On it, they ask the date when I moved or intend to move abroad. This was technically about twenty months ago but at the time it was short-term and I had no idea I would end up staying for good.

When I realised last year that I was staying, I told HMRC about this and assumed they'd let SLC know, but have since learnt they don't do that (they notified my private pension provider so why not their friends in the SLC??).

1) Does anyone know if the SLC have a tolerance of 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 months before getting arsey with fines for late notification etc? Seems I could just put 'yesterday' on the form if I wanted - is this cross-referenced with anything?

The amount
My work situation is sketchy. I do seasonal contracts in tourism and pro rata these would put me over the threshold, but I drift between casual work, travel and state benefits (not UK) inbetween so can't point to a stable income. All in it's probably only 15k Euro a year and an 18kGBP earnings threshold is applied to the host country.

2) The SLC form asks for my income but doesn't state if this is to be monthly or annual, gross or net. Any ideas?

3) Some of my hours are technically overtime which is not taxable or subject to NI in the host country so can it also be deducted from the amount I notify the SLC?

4) I've read mention on this site of providing three months of payslips as evidence - is this a fact or just people assuming the same requirements as a bank? The form is even more vague. I can provide my foreign tax return from last year - in my opinion that's on a par with how they work with HMRC anyway.

I haven't called them for advice as at the moment it's late and in any case I want to get it all straight before possibly incriminating myself!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• I'll admit that my answers to your questions are not from experiance.

1)Presuming your initial move out there was for less than 3 months, then you should be ok as just working abroad for a couple of months doesnt require notification. And the fact that you told HMRC adds to your case. So I'd be tempted to tell the truth. Also I'm yet to hear of story about them fining people who come clean and work with them. It doesnt look like your in arrears which probably helps as well.

2/3)Income will be Gross including overtime, bonuses etc (i.e. all earned income before taxes) as that what its calculated on when you pay via PAYE back in the UK. I would just state the time period of your estimate.

4) I'd imagine they'd accept your tax return as it will give a truer picture of your income then just 3 months payslips. And as you have a variable income you don't want them to only see the good months. I'd imagine there might be issues with translation if the tax return is in anything other than English, but most documentation will have this issue.

Good Luck.
  • Poolie
    Poolie Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    1 - SLC let you away but you could get a strongly worded letter.

2 - The income should be annual gross income.

3 - You should provide either 3 payslips dated within last 3 months or a copy of a contract dated within the last 3 months. You should not that if this is not continual employment then you would have to reassessed every time your status changes.
  • *srjp*
    *srjp* Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thank you both for your replies. I contacted SLC via their geographical number (https://www.saynoto0870.com) and the advisor said a tax return would probably be the best thing. They also said that income details should be "whatever you can give us" (!) but ideally gross etc as you have both noted. These two statements may be slightly at odds as I wrote above re overtime, but we'll see if they ask for anything else after the initial submission of the tax return. No real advice on 'late fines' but I'm putting together a detailed covering letter so hopefully all will be well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure