We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help - Stray Cat tested positive for FIV

Options

Comments

• pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Murtle wrote:
    pboae - I have just looked at those links and am now sobbing - how can people be so cruel to animals :mad: now all I need to a bigger house with more space and some people to help look after them. :cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry Murtle, I didn't mean to upset you :-(
    Sadly cruelty is still wide spread in this country. Those boards are heavily used by people who are at the sharp end of animal rescue, so they tend to off load there about their worst cases. I guess it's what keeps them sane.

My own dog was a rescue, seized by the RSPCA and horrifically abused, the RSPCA couldn't even prosecute them because he didn't die. I know the RSPCA aren't perfect, but it's so hard for them to get a conviction, and when they do the punishement is usually pathetic anyway. :(
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    Here is the link to the 'FIV owners club' on cat chat that Iain L suggested...

http://www.catchat.org/forum.html

Also, you can click on the map in this link and it will give you all the rescues in your area, it has small independant rescues on there too so you may not have come accross them on your search. Please whatever you do don't take him to the RSPCA as they will often PTS (put to sleep) otherwise perfectly healthy cats because they have tested positive for FIV.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

Really hope there can be a happy ending for this little one,
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    My little cat Rupert, was about 3 years old when he was diagnosed positive FIV. I was heart-broken, as was my husband. He was our baby - this was back in 1997.
    The Vet said he could live for 10 years with the condition and show no signs of illness, but that he should be kept inside.
    He happily adapted to being a pandered kitty, until last year. He had a dose of gingivitis which wouldn't get better and he rapidly lost weight. He picked up a snuffle and then we knew the time was here to 'let him go'.
    We were really upset as we took him to the Vets, and I stroked him and talked to him as he was euthanised. We brought him home and buried him in the garden. It was very sad for us, but we felt we'd given him a chance at life. He lived for 8 years after his FIV was diagnosed.
    I wouldn't have any qualms about taking another FIV positive cat. I read up on the condition, and the only time I had concerns was when I was pregnant in 2000, I worried if Rupert scratched me, could any damage be done to my baby. The Vets put my fears to rest.
    I lost a dear friend the day little Rupert died.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Keep asking the local shelters - my Mum's animal rescue charity in Herts has a special section for FIV cats, who are kept together away from the other cats and allowed to live out their natural lives unless too ill to cope.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pboae wrote:
    I'm sorry Murtle, I didn't mean to upset you :-(
    Sadly cruelty is still wide spread in this country. Those boards are heavily used by people who are at the sharp end of animal rescue, so they tend to off load there about their worst cases. I guess it's what keeps them sane.

My own dog was a rescue, seized by the RSPCA and horrifically abused, the RSPCA couldn't even prosecute them because he didn't die. I know the RSPCA aren't perfect, but it's so hard for them to get a conviction, and when they do the punishement is usually pathetic anyway. :(

I am really shocked that in this day and age and in this country we still put healthy animals to sleep it absolutely sickens me but those links have kicked me into doing something to help. So I will be contacting my local pet rescue centre to see what I can do offer as they are looking for some volunteers.

x x x
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Agutka wrote:
    I'm really sorry to ask, but... are you serious?

Yes i was serious. Although an uneducated answer, the others on this thread have inadvertently put me straight, whereas you have just attempted to ridicule me.

Are you feeling better now?
    more dollar$ than sense
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    taxi97w wrote:
    Yes i was serious. Although an uneducated answer, the others on this thread have inadvertently put me straight, whereas you have just attempted to ridicule me.

Are you feeling better now?
    If you don't mind I'd like to just add some info on the condition. I don't mean 'to ridicule you' but it's quite a sensitive issue.

FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) is the cat equivalent of HIV in humans. Like HIV, it is only transmitted by exchange of body fluids. It is eventually fatal, but as has been mentioned, and as with humans, those affected can go on to live long lives of good quality. The primary concern must be to minimise spread of the virus, because once infected an individual will always be a risk to others. This is the reason behind the euthanasia policies of many shelters.

There is no vaccination against FIV (nor is there a vaccine against HIV), although as the FIV virus is in the same family as the HIV virus there is a tremendous amount of research underway to manufacture one. If we could find a way of vaccinating against or treating FIV, it's likely that would help us towards doing likewise for the human version.

I think in your original comment about vaccination you may be confusing FIV with FeLV (feline leukaemia virus), another widespread and fatal viral disease of cats. FeLV is the most common cause of cancer in cats, but fortunately there is an effective vaccine against this disease.
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Eels100 wrote:

I think in your original comment about vaccination you may be confusing FIV with FeLV (feline leukaemia virus), another widespread and fatal viral disease of cats. FeLV is the most common cause of cancer in cats, but fortunately there is an effective vaccine against this disease.

Yes. You are correct. That was what I was thinking.;)
    more dollar$ than sense
  • oldandhappy
    Options
    One of our local Animal Sanctuarys in Bexhill on Sea takes in any unwanted animals and has several FIV Cats that have there own area. No animal is put to sleep there unless it is suffering. Mr. Old does woodwork/repairs there once a week so knows this personally.Mrs. H
  • MAYFLOWERS
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies - have some good news!

Went onto the website that Iain L recommended catchat - brilliant site ! Found a thread on there about a Sanctuary called Freshfields in Southport - Mum thought she had phoned them already but we phoned this am and they have agreed to take him :-)

They have asked us if we can look after him for a short while and then they can take him - seem very positive about rehoming him! We are going to pay to have him neutered, have his injections and some surgery on his eye in the meantime.

I wish we could keep him - he/s such a lovely cat despite all he/s been through! Hopefully he will get a nice home!

Thanks again for everyones replies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family