New Post Advanced Search

Death doesn't bring an end to timeshare fee

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
34 replies 11.6K views
124»

Replies

• tbwtbw Forumite
    5.1K posts
    I had 2 different timeshares with 2 different companies. One company was happy to let me just stop paying the annual maintenace and sign the timeshare back over to them - I didn't expect anything back, just wanted to get rid of the thing.

I asked the other company what would happen if I stopped paying and let them take it back - they wouldn't consider it and said that if I stopped paying they would eventually reposess it but would still chase me for the annual maintenance ! They said they could put my timeshare on their Resale List if I wanted them to try to sell it on for me - but said it would be offered at their standard sale price (I couldn't say I only wanted a very low price for it) or I could try to sell it privately.
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • edited 26 July 2011 at 8:53PM
    slugsslugs Forumite
    51 posts
    edited 26 July 2011 at 8:53PM
    I have been trying to get rid of the timeshare for over a year trying to sell on e bay for 0.99 no sale, a free gift to a charity no chance,i offered it back to Diamond resorts free, they dont want it back,so we stopped our fees, the so called debt, has been sold on to DANIELS SILVERMAN,debt collection agency there is a forum on this site and on the daly mirror site all about them,they will ask you for your late fees and also add on there cut,but thats all they can do,they can not take you to court for non payment, {only DIAMOND RESORTS can},and to date that has never happened, they can only ask nicely will you pay,my first phone call i put down when they said who they were,the reply to the letter,...We disput the so called debt to DR we will not be paying any money to you or them, all corespondance to be in writing,if you phone we will put the phone down any harassment will be reported to the OFT in Liverpool. so far no other calls or letters since may.I also belong to the DRIP group which has been talked about on this and the mirror site with out them i would not have been confident to have wrote this letter and stood my ground... not another penny shall i give.
  • tbw wrote: »
    I had 2 different timeshares with 2 different companies. One company was happy to let me just stop paying the annual maintenace and sign the timeshare back over to them - I didn't expect anything back, just wanted to get rid of the thing.

I asked the other company what would happen if I stopped paying and let them take it back - they wouldn't consider it and said that if I stopped paying they would eventually reposess it but would still chase me for the annual maintenance ! They said they could put my timeshare on their Resale List if I wanted them to try to sell it on for me - but said it would be offered at their standard sale price (I couldn't say I only wanted a very low price for it) or I could try to sell it privately.

Macdonals have had our August bank holiday week on sale for over 3 years we have heard nothing so have stopped paying the maintenance
    we had one letter and now have a debt collectors letter
    Each time we contact MD they send us another form to put on sale do they not have a duty of care at all as they never advertise it for sale anywhere
    More importantly what should we do
    Tigger:j[email protected]:grouphug:
  • AzariAzari Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    More importantly what should we do

As I have already said many times in this thread: Consult a solicitor.

You cannot get accurate advice about something that will depend on specific contract terms on a forum like this.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support