Fords Of Winsford

Options
I'm considering buying a car from them and wondered if anyone has had any dealings with them or whether they have a good reputation or not.

Is there generally room for negotiation or are the prices pretty much fixed with them being a car supermarket?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Prices are fixed from waht I remember.

Good reputation and very popular locally.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    I bought an Audi A4 from them in 2000, they were ok, they wouldn't budge on the price but the car was fine.

They had a set test route which I found annoying. I don't recall it including anything that let you do 70mph.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    I worked for a courier/minicab company years ago that used to buy all its cars there, they always bought the preregistered new cars and had no problems that I can remember.
  • DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought my car from them many years ago and they were ok, but they don't budge on price. The price was actually reasonable, though.
    They had a set test route which I found annoying. I don't recall it including anything that let you do 70mph.
    You mean you didn't choose where to drive it? I chose where to drive it and gave it a good spin, as well as trying a couple of reversing manoeuvres to test rear visibility etc.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We heard they had a good reputation and my husband bought a car from there. Fixed, but fair, price and a reasonable deal for part-ex. All went very well. And there was no hard sell.
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No personal dealings with them, but my uncle has bought twice with no problems, and B-I-L has bought as well with no problems.
    As others have said, no negotiation on prices. Also remember the price does not include a warranty, so factor that into your costs when comparing with other cars at different dealers.
  • KonkyWonky
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, will be travelling down from Glasgow so didn't want to get there and find it to be a cowboy operation.

Thanks again to those that replied.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a car from them years ago, fair price and no complaints
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KonkyWonky wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, will be travelling down from Glasgow so didn't want to get there and find it to be a cowboy operation.

Thanks again to those that replied.

It's definitely not that. It's been around for years. I used to live in the area. Although I've not bought from them I never heard any bad press about them.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    I bought one from them and when I came to sell it found that I couldn't as it it had outstanding finance on it from the previous owner!

The upshot of this was that the only way I could sell/trade in the car without getting involved in legal hassle was to go back to them with it, and (unhappily) trade it in against another from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure