PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Idiot's guide to a nice beef curry needed.

Options
Hi, hope somone on this board can help me out with a really easy (:o ) beef curry recipe. I've been married for nearly ten years now and hubby and kids still grimace every now and then *hanging my head in shame here*

Have passed myself off over the years by doing the same thing over and over again: steak, lasagne, shepherds' pie, stew and bolognese.

Please help! could I be really cheeky and ask all you lovely people to give me an idiot's guide (step by step for a hopeless cook) to making a nice beef curry.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• hermie
    hermie Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think this sounds like an excellent challenge for MrBadExample .. ;)
  • Eagle_1
    Eagle_1 Posts: 8,484 Forumite
    Options
    oooohhhh yes please :j
  • linlin_3
    linlin_3 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd use a ready made sauce as some of them are really good. If you want to make it a bit special - serve it African style with a good selection of side dishes: coconut, chopped raw onion, peanuts, tomatoes, oranges, bananas, pineapple.
  • Motherof1
    Options
    I make beef nmadras atleast once a week. I use braising steak for this. In the supermarket there is a range of Pataks Curry Pastes....these are delicious. After frying the onions add a fews spoons of paste, the meat and a tin of tomotoes...(depending on which paste you buy). I also add a few drops of Worcestersource and 2 tablespoons of desicated coconut...this really brings out the flavour. In South Africa curries are often served with chopped banana and diced tomoto and onion ontop.

If eating it with banana ontop is not your thing.....you could serve it plain. The paste way of doing it for me really is the easiest and very tasty (everyone who's had my curry always has seconds).

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for this.... I really wanted to ask the same thing. Wanted to make curry but using a whole jar of sauce always seems to be too spicy for the kids.

Will try the pataks curry paste, thanks! :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    newlywed wrote:
    thanks for this.... I really wanted to ask the same thing. Wanted to make curry but using a whole jar of sauce always seems to be too spicy for the kids.

Will try the pataks curry paste, thanks! :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! If you're on the OS board it HAS to be HM:o

Please - this HAS to be the next MBE cookdown. It's crying out for it:j newlywed v JMU-95 v Mr BE

Mr BE - do you like curry?:D
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • pudding06
    Options
    mother of 1
    I saw your post and love curry so thought I'd have a go at yours but just a quick question,

Quote [After frying the onions add a fews spoons of paste, the meat and a tin of tomotoes...(depending on which paste you buy). I also add a few drops of Worcestersource and 2 tablespoons of desicated coconut...this really brings out the flavour.]
    just asking - by spoons of curry paste do you mean tablespoons or teaspoons? I fancy making this one but then thought if I get that wrong it may be very hot or too mild !!!:rolleyes:
    Thanks for the recipe can't wait to try it.

pudds:beer:
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    mrbe has a chickpea curry receipe you could adapt this.

Mr Badexamples Cooking Index
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TNG wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! If you're on the OS board it HAS to be HM:o

Oh thanks!! Now you make me feel guilty for the other jar of sauce I buy every week (OH loves sweet and sour sauce). Just had to go and look up how you make it!! Still, should save me over a quid a week by the looks!! :D

Not even going to attempt to look for a recipe for black bean sauce yet though!!! Not feeling quite that adventurous this week :p
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    newlywed wrote:
    Oh thanks!! Now you make me feel guilty for the other jar of sauce I buy every week (OH loves sweet and sour sauce). Just had to go and look up how you make it!! Still, should save me over a quid a week by the looks!! :D

Not even going to attempt to look for a recipe for black bean sauce yet though!!! Not feeling quite that adventurous this week :p

ooh, ooh. easy Sweet & Sour Chicken (to make it up to you:o)

4 peppers
    3 onions
    1 pineapple
    1 chilli pepper (optional, depends if you want a kick)

quarter veg & dice pineapple and add to SC (that's what I did)
    Add your chicken (whole or pieces)

when cooked - whizz (liquidise) half the vegetables with a tablespoon or two of sugar and 5/6 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

Add back to SC. Mix & serve

made this a couple of weeks ago and was delish!!
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport