We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Spending £15 on Elecky a week, 23p per kw, good or bad
Lightsout_2
Posts: 28 Forumite
in Energy
Just wondering what other people thought.
The price of my Electricity is 23pence per KW. Forget 'tier 2' rate of 10p per kw because we all know that doesnt exist and I called BG and the woman said she's worked there for 20 years and she hasn't got a clue.
But anyway, I tell people how much I am on and they laugh, whats the going rate or is it all !!!!!!!! and they are all having a laugh behind our backs?
The price of my Electricity is 23pence per KW. Forget 'tier 2' rate of 10p per kw because we all know that doesnt exist and I called BG and the woman said she's worked there for 20 years and she hasn't got a clue.
But anyway, I tell people how much I am on and they laugh, whats the going rate or is it all !!!!!!!! and they are all having a laugh behind our backs?
0
Comments
-
Hi Lightsout - 23p is the sort of level Primary units are charged at, is it the case that your Elec consumption is so low that you never use enough to get the Secondary rate?
Please post the type of meter you have, the BG tariff you are on and the type of heating you have0 -
If you use more than 500 KWH a year you will drop to the lower tariff although this may change depending on the tariff you are on. As the industry average is 3300 KWH per year you would need to be a very low user to not use the tier 2 rates.
Get a years consumption and post into a comparison site. This will then tell you if you have a good deal or not.
One thing to be aware of , people would need more info to help you as the charges are different all over the country so it depends where you live whether this is a good deal or not.Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs0 -
Thanks for your posts, i'll get back with more info soon0
-
Lightsout,
As said above, the bulk of the electricity for the majority of people is charged at tier 2 rate.
If you have really low consumption, it might pay you to move to Ebico who only charge the one rate.
However if you are spending £15 a week you are an above average user - by a considerable margin!0 -
Right, ok, here goes
I am on a pre-payment meter and my tariff is Standard.
I h ave used 5000 kwh of electricity in one year, but if anything I am putting more money in the meter rather than dropping down to the 10p unit 2 price.
I live in Leicester.0 -
Only the first £4 at most (per week) cost 23p. The remaining £11 is 10p or 14p or whatever per unit. In fact, as it is British Gas, only £2.20 will be at the more expensive tier.
Edit: British Gas current prepayment tariff suggests it should only be even less - only £1.30 per week (but this will vary in different regions.)
Either you are confused about your meter/bill or someone is swindling you. How many units are you receiving for £15?0 -
Right, ok, here goes
I am on a pre-payment meter and my tariff is Standard.
I h ave used 5000 kwh of electricity in one year, but if anything I am putting more money in the meter rather than dropping down to the 10p unit 2 price.
I live in Leicester.
5000kWh in Leicester will cost £558 a year. So just under £11 a week.
Do you have a debt on your account?0 -
You can see what's going on by looing through the screens on the meter.
The ones to look at are:
F - Weekly charge (Bill repayment + standing charge) - if no bill, and no standing charge should be £0.00
G - Overall reading (if on single rate (non-E7) this is your reading
H - First reading - if on E7 this will be day, if on non-standing charge this will be tier 1 for this cycle
I - Cost of units in first reading (Day/Tier 1)
J - Second reading - if on E7 this is night, if on non-standing charge this will be for Tier 2 for this cycle
K - Cost of units in second reading (Night/Tier 1)
(Some tariffs/meters are still programmed with a standing charge. If so you won't have J &K.)
(Need a key in the meter for the next screens)
R - Amount of emergency credit offered, when it is offered
S - Outstanding balance (if any)
T - Weekly payment to wards the balance (if any)0 -
You're right Kim, I'm pretty confused because not even the woman at British Gas could explain it to me.
No idea how many units I am receiving, how did you work out £2.20 in £15?0 -
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards