We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Switching supplier

Am quite a newby to the utilities game and after a year paying EDF for our dual fuel I feel like it is time for a change.

a) am I right in understanding I can switch at any time?
b) I am in credit (as explained in another recent thread of mine) of about £120. If I switch will this be automatically refunded to me during the process or do I need to contact EDF personally and sort this?
c) On all of my comparisons, scottishpower are the cheapest for our area....are they any good?

I think that is about it for now! Sorry for starting another thread, as I know I have already asked one of the questions on my other one. However, I hoped it might attract a few more reads/possible answers on a more specific thread :o
Overdrafts transferred to MBNA £953.40/£4279.80 Car insurance (on CC) £461.98/£751.98 :mad: Bank of mum and dad £1500/£5000
Total debt repaid £2915.38/£10,031.78 (29%):T Owed [STRIKE]£10,031.78[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £7400[/STRIKE] £7116.40 Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge £1127.60/£4000
«1

Comments

  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You can apply to switch at any time. Martin suggests now is a 'golden moment'.

    Be aware on any early exit fees that may apply with your existing current supplier/tariff.

    Following the switch, you will receive a final bill/statement from the outgoing supplier and that should state how they plan to refund any credit balance you may have :)
    (This is sometimes via cheque or sometimes as a credit to your bank account)

    If in doubt, contact them after you get that final bill.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Am quite a newby to the utilities game and after a year paying EDF for our dual fuel I feel like it is time for a change.

    a) am I right in understanding I can switch at any time?
    b) I am in credit (as explained in another recent thread of mine) of about £120. If I switch will this be automatically refunded to me during the process or do I need to contact EDF personally and sort this?
    c) On all of my comparisons, scottishpower are the cheapest for our area....are they any good?

    I think that is about it for now! Sorry for starting another thread, as I know I have already asked one of the questions on my other one. However, I hoped it might attract a few more reads/possible answers on a more specific thread :o
    a) You can switch at any time. However some tariffs have a leaving fee if you leave before the contract expires.

    b) When the switch is completed you will get a final bill from your old supplier, that will take into account your final usage and any credit from the previous bill. Any credit/ debit left over will either be refunded to you or you will have to pay.

    c) I switched to SP in June, so far so good!

    Edit Good job premier and I sing from the same hymsheet.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Also, your final bill will get estimated so give your own reading. This ensures that you get what you want to pay for with your cheaper Supplier. Otherwise if they overestimate your closing reading, you end up paying more to the old Supplier on their higher rates.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Thanks all for the really quick replies.

    I always make sure I enter my own meter readings regularly, as EDF massively overestimate the readings! The online bills make for interesting reading when you start seeing all the adjustments they have to keep doing for making such ridiculous estimates!

    Terry....Do I give my meter reading after the final bill comes or do I do it soon and hope that it doesn't get estimated? OBviously I will ring EDF if I need to but at the moment trying to get advice from all the helpful MSE users, as I don't want to rack up my phone bill!
    Overdrafts transferred to MBNA £953.40/£4279.80 Car insurance (on CC) £461.98/£751.98 :mad: Bank of mum and dad £1500/£5000
    Total debt repaid £2915.38/£10,031.78 (29%):T Owed [STRIKE]£10,031.78[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £7400[/STRIKE] £7116.40 Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge £1127.60/£4000
  • Thanks all for the really quick replies.

    I always make sure I enter my own meter readings regularly, as EDF massively overestimate the readings! The online bills make for interesting reading when you start seeing all the adjustments they have to keep doing for making such ridiculous estimates!

    Terry....Do I give my meter reading after the final bill comes or do I do it soon and hope that it doesn't get estimated? OBviously I will ring EDF if I need to but at the moment trying to get advice from all the helpful MSE users, as I don't want to rack up my phone bill!
    The final reading should not be estimated. What happens is your new supplier should contact you and ask you to supply a reading. They will then give that reading to the old supplier and it is used as the end reading for them and the opening reading for the new supplier.
    Esimated readings are only used if you do not give the reading when asked.
  • Lovely....thanks nbg.

    Am thinking about starting the switch today due to having far too much time on my hands at the moment (signed off work grrrr!). Have already done the phoneline, now considering utilities and next week will be a broadband switch!
    Overdrafts transferred to MBNA £953.40/£4279.80 Car insurance (on CC) £461.98/£751.98 :mad: Bank of mum and dad £1500/£5000
    Total debt repaid £2915.38/£10,031.78 (29%):T Owed [STRIKE]£10,031.78[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £7400[/STRIKE] £7116.40 Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge £1127.60/£4000
  • Don't forget to go through a cashback site. Scottish power are currently giving £100 through Quidco for a dual fuel switch and £50 for a single switch.
  • Don't forget to go through a cashback site. Scottish power are currently giving £100 through Quidco for a dual fuel switch and £50 for a single switch.

    Don't worry...I will! I was really pleased the SP came up cheapest actually, as my work reward scheme is offering £120 cashback for dual fuel switch.
    Overdrafts transferred to MBNA £953.40/£4279.80 Car insurance (on CC) £461.98/£751.98 :mad: Bank of mum and dad £1500/£5000
    Total debt repaid £2915.38/£10,031.78 (29%):T Owed [STRIKE]£10,031.78[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £7400[/STRIKE] £7116.40 Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge £1127.60/£4000
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Keep an eye on it, you have a short amount of days to supply your own reading. If you don't, it will be estimated, which is how the industry has always been set up. These estimates can be worse than the normal ones since they rely on the meter reading agents who don't always use / scrap or don't get reads from your Supplier / PP meters etc at times.

    However, if it did get estimated and you have a reading, they can just change it by disputing the reading...it's not the easiest process though since it has to go through 2 different Suppliers to agree and they have to change both of their meter reading agents closing/opening reads. So, best if you can avoid this.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

    I have taken the plunge and applied to scottish power to switch my dual fuel. I will make sure that I give them my meter readings as soon as they ask for them!
    Overdrafts transferred to MBNA £953.40/£4279.80 Car insurance (on CC) £461.98/£751.98 :mad: Bank of mum and dad £1500/£5000
    Total debt repaid £2915.38/£10,031.78 (29%):T Owed [STRIKE]£10,031.78[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £7400[/STRIKE] £7116.40 Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge £1127.60/£4000
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.