Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 November 2010 at 9:43AM
    Options
    lapat wrote: »
    a plastic one about 8 inches long

Never seen a plastic one. I would expect it to snap if it's plastic - these valves are hardly ever moved so usually need quite a bit of welly. (... which is why they may fracture which the water company will charge you for as it's their property if you are not careful). Of course, if you've employed a water company official to come out and turn it off for you, and it snaps, it's not your problem.

Hope you've got long arms. These valves can be anything up to about 3 feet underground. It helps avoid damage should something heaby (like a vehicle) pass over them and also protects them from freezing in winter)

They are also, as I said, usually covered in water, muck and other nasties (like rats urine!:eek:) Not something I would recommend sticking any part of your body into, especially your whole arm up to your armpit ;)

lapat wrote: »
    all external meter boxes have a stop tap in to isolate the meter for repairs/exchanges and nost should have there plastic stop tap key so as you can isolate it yourself in case of emergency.

In all the houses I've ever accessed one of these (and that's quite a few ranging from about 10 years old to about 80 years old), I've never come across one of these in a meter box.

Why would they put such an item in a meter box? The valve itself is usually located on the pavement under a small access cover as shown. Even if there's a water meter, it's still usually located in such a location. If a number of valves/meters are located together, then they may sometimes be located in one big access pit.

Having said that, the only house I've been to in the Severn Trent water area with a meter had that meter located under the sink (with electronic remote control reading possibility to an outside wall). That house was about 10 years old, so I don't know if that only applies to new builds in that area where meters were installed from new, or indeed if it's even usual for the ST water area.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please, OP, if you've got that photo of your valve, I'd still be interested in seeing it and how it differs from the universal one I showed earlier :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a STW area and have worked with new builds and major repairs (ie sub alts) and have to agree with Premier

There can be a small tap by the meter for maintence but that should not accessed by anyone other then the water company as the meter remains their legal property and I have not seen the key left in the meter box either.
    I have never seen a small plastic key that could turn the main stop tap, it is normally a great metal thing and again I am with Premier on the kind I have seen.

Also not sure why you would complain to the water company about odd tasting water after spraying WD40 onto pipe work. I do understand where you are going with it but I think that maybe it is being taken too far, "costly set of samples to prove that there is no issue with there water supply." I know a guy who did this and would always taste or smell the water first and could pick out things used in the household quite easily, and also they would not come at first call to take samples...you are advised to keep a diary of when it is worse and if it gets better etc then if it is exactly the same they would take tests.

I don't agree with putting things in to the water course but I don't think there is any need to suggest that a small squirt of the stuff would make the whole streets water bad if there was a burst.

Oh and while I think about it : you stated a DG3 for interruption of supply in another thread but here you are saying you can knock on your neighbours doors and tell them you are turning their water off, what would then happen if you broke the stop tap and they had no water for 12 plus hours ? Do you think the water company would pay for that ?

I honestly don't think it is a good idea for anyone to be messing around with the mains at all as the problems could be massive.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    There can be a small tap by the meter for maintence but that should not accessed by anyone other then the water company as the meter remains their legal property and I have not seen the key left in the meter box either.
    I have never seen a small plastic key that could turn the main stop tap, it is normally a great metal thing and again I am with Premier on the kind I have seen.

The tap by the meter is also your stop tap, you are allowed to use it as that's what it is for, the new ones used are plastic so far less problematic compared to the old ones that can come off in your hand !

When people ask for a meter they usually replace the old stop tap and fit it with a brand new meter box which incorporates a stop tap. (unless on a shared supply or if the water co. prefers a internal fit)

Depending on the water co. if you ask for your stop tap to be replaced they automatically fit a meter box.
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    I am that anal that I went to look at a Kent meter and there is no tap....The main stop tap is at least 100 yards up the road in a metal box rather then a plastic covered one.

I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one as most of the main stop taps that I have seen have been metal and quite hard to reach and turn and require a metal tool.
    Maybe it is that here we have more properties on shared mains or that STW do things differently but the only meter I can name of the top of my head that has a tap is a fusion and with the reports of them over recording I am not sure I would want to turn anything off near them and then have to fight to sort out the bill if they broke.

I should think though that the OP has this sorted now so hopefully they will come back and update but knowing this part of the forum that might be a long wait.

Robert Service
  • mcc100
    mcc100 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most of the external water meters fitted by Anglian Water have a plastic tap next to the meter that is used to isolate the supply.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    mcc100 wrote: »
    Most of the external water meters fitted by Anglian Water have a plastic tap next to the meter that is used to isolate the supply.

Yes this is true in fact they all have a stop tap in the chamber , this is the area i know about, i guess they all do things different in different companys

Seems hard work for ST if they have to turn off supply's 100 yards away to change a meter :D
  • mcc100
    mcc100 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    Seems hard work for ST if they have to turn off supply's 100 yards away to change a meter :D

It does seem a bit odd.
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    I am not sure they do it with every meter for sure but the one I was looking at honestly did not have anything other then a screw which I guess could be to turn off the supply but there is no way in hell any plastic key etc could have done it.

The main tap is about 100 yards away as it is outside my neighbours house

but also saying that STW don't change meters unless they really really have to ..lol

as I say though, only know what I see...

Robert Service
  • lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a STW area and have worked with new builds and major repairs (ie sub alts) and have to agree with Premier

gothic im talking about aplas style boxs that are located at the boundary with the 8" plastic stop tap key

Also not sure why you would complain to the water company about odd tasting water after spraying WD40 onto pipe work. I do understand where you are going with it but I think that maybe it is being taken too far, "costly set of samples to prove that there is no issue with there water supply." I know a guy who did this and would always taste or smell the water first and could pick out things used in the household quite easily, and also they would not come at first call to take samples...you are advised to keep a diary of when it is worse and if it gets better etc then if it is exactly the same they would take tests.
    so the statutary guidelines from ofwat that state any taste or odour or ilness compalint where the water may be in question dont warrant samples...????????

I don't agree with putting things in to the water course but I don't think there is any need to suggest that a small squirt of the stuff would make the whole streets water bad if there was a burst.

regardless if its a small squirt or not wd40 is an active oil ingress ingredient and under coshh regulations it is not suitable for drinking water purposes/applications

and if you have a petrol leak on your drive and it contaminates the 25mm pe shoule you not isolate supply and possibly mains until cleaned..?

Oh and while I think about it : you stated a DG3 for interruption of supply in another thread but here you are saying you can knock on your neighbours doors and tell them you are turning their water off, what would then happen if you broke the stop tap and they had no water for 12 plus hours ? Do you think the water company would pay for that ?
    read the dg3 guidlines 3rd party damage i.e a broken stop tap from a contractor operating supply to property does not fall into the dg3 realms

I honestly don't think it is a good idea for anyone to be messing around with the mains at all as the problems could be massive.

as i said before anyone is entitled to operate the supply to there properties.

thanks for your interesting quotes
    need to have a lightbulb moment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family