We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Please Help!...New house, full signal, 4 mobile phones and severe PROBLEMS!?!

Options
2»

Comments

• lozzaman
    lozzaman Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Seems strange that the interference is causing a problem on the uplink frequency but not the downlink?
    O/P could you provide a sample of the audio? If you can't record I can provide a local rate number for you to drop the sample to and I will upload it?
  • lozzaman
    Options
    lozzaman if its a passive booster i.e no power or batteries then it basically becomes a directional antenna and focuses it out at that point. (probably a half wave aerial but at that freq your only talking a couple of CM anyway.

However a visit on 900 or 1800 mhz is likely to be taken quite seriously by OFCOM considering how much the mobile companies paid for their spectrum allocations. If it was on 430-470mhz or even 2m the chances of a visit are much less likley.

Doing a quick round on ebay shows a number of them available - most of them highly illegal and confusing as they state the product has a CE mark.
    All this means is the product is legal to own but not always legal to use.(quirk of the telecommunications acts)

My point is that the RF from such a booster is only been retransmitted, the same signal on the same frequency as before (hence why the aerials have to be separated)

The main cause of interference from such a booster is transmitted into the house, the uplink frequency is obviously transmitted outside back to the mast, but only the same as a phone in the same position.

If a high gain antenna is used too high up a building then it could cause problems for the mobile operator by transmitting way into neighbouring cells.
  • lozzaman
    Options
    I'm not sure they do retransmit on a different frequency (how would it as the mobile network controls this and communicates it down the control channel)
    Handset problems seem unlikely if the handset is fine outside and it effects everyone's handsets regardless of networks.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    lewaff wrote: »
    Hi I am Lewis
    I am a radio engineer /mobile phone engineer though semi retired now

How do you get the spam icon?
  • Dawning
    Dawning Posts: 498 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2010 at 1:46AM
    Options
    lewaff wrote: »
    Hi I am Lewis

Reported as Spam.
  • PistonBroke_2
    Options
    Funny you should say that My wife and i are both with O2 & have lived in a 1930's & a 1960's house with the EXACT same problem everyone else at the other End thought we were Metal Mickey or something,
    We spoke to 02 who told us it was the phone so i changed them for 2 new Nokia 6300's & still we had the same problem. Several calls to 02 later & they had no clue what was causing it. but eventually it started to get better & then only happened intermittently so we just lived with it. i personally believe ti was something to do with the network & seemed worse on my wife's phone rather than mine.

But I've just taken the step to move away from 02 after 12 years & this was one of the reasons that I've decided to leave. The second was price & 02's retention policy not being very good for loyal customers any more. :)
  • planetf1
    planetf1 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know you said "without" the booster, but have you definately eliminated it as a potential cause (ie unplugged power & antennae) as that has to be the top suspect.

With it off, can you find somewhere in the house with more than 1 bar - does the problem still occur then.

Could it be a COMBINATION of
    - weak signal
    - a booster fault
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Bubba1437
    Bubba1437 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Just to update everyone. I finally have a mobile phone in and about my home that i can actually use. After many many months of pulling my hair out and testing different network providers and other options, we've finally cracked it with VIRGIN MOBILE. Why it works when the others fail miserably we don't know but it does - just how a mobile phone should do!

Anyway thanks again for everyone's help. See you on another thread very soon.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bubba1437 wrote: »
    Hello,

VIRGIN MOBILE. Why it works when the others fail miserably we don't know but it does - just how a mobile phone should do!

Anyway thanks again for everyone's help. See you on another thread very soon.

Thats TMobile network as the carrier .

jje
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills