Channel 4: Data Scandal

Options
2»

Comments

• spunky
    spunky Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, that's not my experience at all.

A number of years ago I lost a bag that contained a cheque book. Because this cheque book was very rarely taken out of my filing cabinet I hadn't realised it was missing until I received a letter from the bank telling me to stop writing cheques that I couldn't honour. While they had only allowed the first cheque for £1200 to be honoured (thus putting me overdrawn), had they honoured all subsequent cheques written I would have been over £6000 overdrawn!!!

By the time they caught the woman who was writing these cheques she had managed to procure some £15000 worth of goods.

Anyway, on the subject of who was footing the bill for this, the bank said that as it was clearly a case of fraud they would have no problem reimbursing me in full (including any bank charges they had levied to date) as they were insured for such eventualities.

I would be very surprised if the bank doesn't simply rely on its insurance to foot the bill in this instance as using stolen credit card details to procure goods at the card owner's expense is clearly also a case of both fraud (against the bank) and theft (against the person).

Reestit Mutton

Well that's very lucky for you. I had my debit card stolen a few years back, reported it stolen to the police and the bank as soon as I realised. The bank said that as a day had gone by it was my fault for not reporting it earlier (which would have been hard as I didn't know it had been stolen until the next day as I don't check my wallet when I get home). Lost over £500 and there was pretty much nothing I could do to get it back.

Same thing happened to a friend with a much shorter time delay between the card being stolen and the owner realising it was missing. Still the bank said it should have been reported as missing instantly, which is !!!!!!!! but he still lost his money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure