We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PAYG data allowance that lasts more than 1 month?

koru
koru Posts: 1,546 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Does anyone know of a PAYG deal which can be used for an iPhone 4 where the data allowance does not expire one month after topping up? I expect I will largely be using free WiFi, so the typical 500 MB allowance for 3G data that comes with a £10 top-up might well be enough for two or three months. I make very few voice calls, so I normally top up £10 every three months, and I am trying to work out whether there is a way I can continue to do this if I upgrade my phone to an iPhone 4. This might save me £80 in top ups each year.
koru

Comments

  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Three mobile gives 150mb with every topup and I think it's valid for 90 days.

    Also GiffGaff PAYG gives free data until 1st Dec, but not sure if it's a 30 day limit
  • Astec
    Astec Posts: 515 Forumite
    T-mobile do 6 months data for £20.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Chorlie wrote: »
    Three mobile gives 150mb with every topup and I think it's valid for 90 days.

    Also GiffGaff PAYG gives free data until 1st Dec, but not sure if it's a 30 day limit
    Thanks. I wonder if I would use more than 150 MB in three months? Hard to tell, until I get my iPhone and start playing with it!
    koru
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Astec wrote: »
    T-mobile do 6 months data for £20.
    That sounds pretty good. So I would need to buy a £10 top-up to cover my voice calls, just as I do now, and then I would buy a six-month booster to cover my data. Total cost, roughly £80 per year, depending on how long it takes me to use £10 for voice calls.

    Alternatively, I see that I could simply pay one pound per day for data on days when I need 3G data. This would be cheaper, as long as I don't need 3G data on more than 40 days per year.

    I also see that T-Mobile give 12 months of free data with an iPhone 4, which brings down the effective cost quite considerably. I would not have to worry about data at all for a year.

    I also like the fact that you can buy a booster for overseas data in Europe for five pounds per week, which would be good to avoid worries about huge bills while on holiday.
    koru
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Virgin Mobile PAYG
    Data charged at 30p per day capped at 25MB per day high charges if you go over though some PAYG tariffs have a cap on the amount of excess charge of £2- per day
    No only use within one month you only get charged as per using . I have not found a cheaper mobile data provider .

    Example
    ten pound top up 1st september spent september calls £1 Data .30p X 10 days = £3 balance 1 oct = £6 carried forward until used . At times i could use no mobile data in a month and the balance does not expire at the end of the month .

    jje
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2010 at 4:51PM
    The Orange Monkey tariff seems like another possibility, as you only have to top up five pounds per month and that gets you 250 MB per month, plus five pounds of calls, which should be plenty for me. So, that would be £60 per year, which is cheaper than T-mobile.

    However, the terms and conditions don't seem to mention this and they only mention a daily pass which gives 2 MB per day, which is not a lot.

    Like T. Mobile, they give you free data for the first year. It makes 02 look very stingy, because they don't seem to give you any free data.
    koru
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Virgin Mobile PAYG
    Data charged at 30p per day capped at 25MB per day high charges if you go over though some PAYG tariffs have a cap on the amount of excess charge of £2- per day
    No only use within one month you only get charged as per using . I have not found a cheaper mobile data provider .

    Example
    ten pound top up 1st september spent september calls £1 Data .30p X 10 days = £3 balance 1 oct = £6 carried forward until used . At times i could use no mobile data in a month and the balance does not expire at the end of the month .

    jje
    That sounds good. I might switch to that once I have used my free data for the first year. Would have to get the phone unlocked. Can Virgin supply a micro SIM?
    koru
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.