Boiler repairs and powerflush

Options
lynseyb29
lynseyb29 Posts: 22 Forumite
My hot water is failing to heat up from combo boiler. I have home emergency cover who have advised I require a heat exchanger, diverter valve and a powerflush. However they do not cover this.

My supplier is British gas and I was thinking of approaching them. Can anyone advise on roughly how much this will all cost?

Thank you

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynseyb29 wrote: »
    My supplier is British gas and I was thinking of approaching them. Can anyone advise on roughly how much this will all cost?

Thank you

At least twice as much as a good local heating engineer will charge.

Get some quotes from local engineers.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi lynseyB29 - You don't say who your 'Home Emergency Cover' is with and there are an awful lot of variations.
    Boiler cover usually covers the replacement of worn parts - So read the small print for yourself - Power Flushing is not usually covered by the contract (May or may not be required as often it's recommended because it's an Extra Earner)

Brit. Gas are expensive compared to many local firms so it would be worth getting several quotes
  • lynseyb29
    Options
    My cover is with walmsley, think it's part of Swindon. They told me they don't cover for sludge or descaling. Therefore they are not doing any of the repairs have just advised what I need to make the cover valid on future.
  • dogshome
    Options
    Hi lynseyB29 - As I said earlier, Powerflushing is an extra earner.

Do I understand that Walmsley are not even offering to do the Powerflush at a cost to you, before carrying the Repairs that are free under your maintenance contract? If that's case it seems you have an insurance policy with a company who only collect premiums, but never pay out.

The order of work would be to do the Powerflush and then fit the new parts, and as winter is approaching your only option would seem to be getting a local guy to do the flush, then sending a copy of his bill to Walmsley with a demand that they do the repairs
  • lynseyb29
    lynseyb29 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    They came and looked At the problem and tried fitting a new switch but then said the home emergency does not cover for descaling and sludge! So it's up to us to sort it out now! I did read in small print wear and tear not covered?
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    British gas do a fixed price repair of 168 (app.) which will include the replacement of one part be it a 5 quid part or 500...bg powerflush is only worth it if you are on a contract as you pay more for the lifetime of contract guarantee.
    I imagine your problem is covered with your current provider but difficult to say without a boiler model and proper fault description.
  • dogshome
    Options
    Hi lynseyb29 - Small print says Wear & Tear not covered ! ? - So what is covered, Theft?

However, Walmley's repair men did try to fit spares before deciding the system needed flushing, so it would seem that you are indeed covered for the failed parts.
    I can only suggest you pursue the route of getting a local guy to do the flush, then sending a copy of his bill to Walmsley with a demand they do the rest.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest you have a second opinion on the problem before spending a load of cash.

What make/model of boiler is it and how has the problem started/manifested itself?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    If you play that word association game then it seems that the correct response to 'British Gas' is always 'powerflush'!
    It may just be the diverter valve. Get a local independent RGI in who knows your make/model. Mine was done last year and cost me only £65.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    If you play that word association game then it seems that the correct response to 'British Gas' is always 'powerflush'!

Except, of course, that this has got nothing whatsoever to do with BG ;)
    I'm a bg engineer just spent the last hour talking a customer out of a powerflush because it wasn't what they needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure