We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can you still get sim cards with £1 credit?

dot111
dot111 Posts: 316 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
I'm looking to change from Vodafone, I'm not in a good reception area, internet, TV not the best.
I know Vodafone and 02 are ok, but how do I test the rest, all family and friends are on VF or 02. I know you can check coverage but not happy porting number and committing to anything unless I'm 100% sure and obviously want to get best deal.

Thanks
«1

Comments

  • No, you can't. However, you can get SIM cards with no credit which will get a signal - you just won't be able to make a call or send texts.

    They're available from all the main providers on their website under Free SIM. Having said that, I'm still waiting for Orange to Deliver mine.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • dot111
    dot111 Posts: 316 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    So if I just put various sim cards in my unlocked phone it will show signal....that simple?
  • dot111
    dot111 Posts: 316 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    So if I just put various sim cards in my unlocked phone it will show signal....that simple?
  • dot111 wrote: »
    So if I just put various sim cards in my unlocked phone it will show signal....that simple?

    Yep, should work. As long as they haven't been cancelled in the meantime of course! But even if there's no credit on the SIM cards, they should still connect to the network.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • lozzaman
    lozzaman Posts: 292 Forumite
    I think all SIMS except for o2 ones accept incoming calls too with no credit on, so you could see if the voice is breaking up or anything too. Definitely the best way to check out a network locally.
  • lozzaman
    lozzaman Posts: 292 Forumite
    No, you can't. However, you can get SIM cards with no credit which will get a signal - you just won't be able to make a call or send texts.

    They're available from all the main providers on their website under Free SIM. Having said that, I'm still waiting for Orange to Deliver mine.

    Get a T-Mobile one instead, register to use it on Orange and try that way? :)

    You do need a T-Mobile signal in the first place to be able to register though.
  • dot111
    dot111 Posts: 316 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your help, I've got a couple of sim cards I'll give them a "test"
  • lozzaman wrote: »
    Get a T-Mobile one instead, register to use it on Orange and try that way? :)

    You do need a T-Mobile signal in the first place to be able to register though.

    Yep, I should have added I don't actually need it anymore because I gave up waiting on Orange to deliver! I went with T-Mobile for a contract, and found the reception was rubbish! (Even though it was reasonable on the phone I tested it in!) Happily, I've now got Orange reception and it's excellent. Maybe I should just have waited a bit longer for those Orange SIMs to arrive...:p
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • lozzaman
    lozzaman Posts: 292 Forumite
    Yep, I should have added I don't actually need it anymore because I gave up waiting on Orange to deliver! I went with T-Mobile for a contract, and found the reception was rubbish! (Even though it was reasonable on the phone I tested it in!) Happily, I've now got Orange reception and it's excellent. Maybe I should just have waited a bit longer for those Orange SIMs to arrive...:p

    Good job there's the Orange roaming then :)

    On the T-Mobile phone you were using it, was that 3G and the phone you were testing it in 2G perhaps? The 3G in my house is weak (will often show no bars, but still sit on standby) The 2G is pretty strong though.
  • They were both 3G capable phones and used it when available. It just seemed to be overall reception was poor, and when I held the new phone, reception disappeared from 2 bars to nothing at all. The only way I could use it was on loud speaker! So it would seem that the antenna just wasn't as good. Thankfully no such problems with Orange roaming!
    :)
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.