We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Problem with Orange
I'm not sure where to turn next, maybe one of the moneysavers can help me out.
There's a bit of a long story here, I'll try my best to explain, so bare with me.
I had a contract with Orange for a couple of years. In August last year, I wanted to change from this to pay as you go, and keep my existing number. I wanted to do this because a week later I was leaving the UK for Germany for a year, to do my Erasmus (University year abroad) year.
I phoned them, it all seemed simple enough, the woman I spoke to told me I'd be sent a new SIM which would be my pay as you go SIM, and the contract had been ended. Fine, simple, easy enough, so I thought.
A couple of months later, I got a call from my parents saying there had been some letters from orange, and did I want them to open them. I assumed they were advertising etc, and said no, it would be ok.
About another month later, red letters started to appear, from credit recovery agency, I told my parents to open them, and to my horror, they stated that I owed rather a lot of money to Orange, because I'd not been paying my monthly bills.
Kindly my parents paid the bills for me, and I managed to get the account closed when I was in the UK at Christmas last year.
It transpired that the contract had not been terminated, and would not have done so until I activated the PAYG SIM card. I hadn't been told this originally on the phone, and the woman I spoke to knew I'd be leaving the country a few days later, and probably wouldn't receive the SIM before then.
Over a year on, back permanently in the UK, I tried twice to get a new phone, on a contract. Both times, the credit check failed.
When I checked my credit rating, a string of late payments had appeared on the Orange account.
I've tried calling orange customer services, who said to email them. I sent an email, and got a reply saying this couldn't be dealt with via email, and I needed to call. I called again, and got told to email. Being bounced back and forth makes me increasingly angry.
I don't know where to turn next, can anyone suggest anything?
There's a bit of a long story here, I'll try my best to explain, so bare with me.
I had a contract with Orange for a couple of years. In August last year, I wanted to change from this to pay as you go, and keep my existing number. I wanted to do this because a week later I was leaving the UK for Germany for a year, to do my Erasmus (University year abroad) year.
I phoned them, it all seemed simple enough, the woman I spoke to told me I'd be sent a new SIM which would be my pay as you go SIM, and the contract had been ended. Fine, simple, easy enough, so I thought.
A couple of months later, I got a call from my parents saying there had been some letters from orange, and did I want them to open them. I assumed they were advertising etc, and said no, it would be ok.
About another month later, red letters started to appear, from credit recovery agency, I told my parents to open them, and to my horror, they stated that I owed rather a lot of money to Orange, because I'd not been paying my monthly bills.
Kindly my parents paid the bills for me, and I managed to get the account closed when I was in the UK at Christmas last year.
It transpired that the contract had not been terminated, and would not have done so until I activated the PAYG SIM card. I hadn't been told this originally on the phone, and the woman I spoke to knew I'd be leaving the country a few days later, and probably wouldn't receive the SIM before then.
Over a year on, back permanently in the UK, I tried twice to get a new phone, on a contract. Both times, the credit check failed.
When I checked my credit rating, a string of late payments had appeared on the Orange account.
I've tried calling orange customer services, who said to email them. I sent an email, and got a reply saying this couldn't be dealt with via email, and I needed to call. I called again, and got told to email. Being bounced back and forth makes me increasingly angry.
I don't know where to turn next, can anyone suggest anything?
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards