Power Savers...

Options
Has anybody bought or used one of these ...
http://www.energyenv.co.uk/PowerSaver.asp

Do they work ?
£40 - so if saving 10% then would take a year based on my yearly bill to break even.

Also does anybody know how they work and save 10-20% as it doesn't explain it very well.
Or anybody used the fuelsavers on the same website ?

cheers
Give somebody a hug it costs nothing

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Is it April 1st already?

Looks like a huge con!
  • shitefourbrains
    Options
    Con written all over it.
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Reported to Manchester Trading Standards

Update...
    Manchester Trading Standards does not want to investigate this claim to lower electricity bills as I do not live in Manchester, although the Company concerned operates from Chorlton, Manchester, Greater Manchester. So if there are any MSE members living in Manchester who, like me, would like this claim to be investigated, you can ask Manchester Trading Standards to investigate this on their enquiry form Here
  • wishingonastar_3
    Options
    sorry if i am being slow, but had a look and nothing stands out to me why its a con (but then I know nothing about these things) can you tell me why you think it is?

many thanks in advance,

woas.
    £2 saver club 30th sept 198 £2 coins = £396(£350 banked)
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    A quick Google easily shows up these scams:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=86174

And the "fuel saver" is also a variation on the magnetic water treatment scam but this time for car fuels.

They basically play on the 'ignorance' of the general public by trying to blind them with science. Mix in these devices with a few credible products on the website makes them all the more convincing.

As always with these products ask yourself: if they worked then they would be a great marketing point so why don't manufacturers offer these as standard?
  • woollyjumper
    Options
    thanks for the feedback...
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see that the Centre for alternative technology sell these devices in their latest catalog so maybe they have some merit.
    Whether they correct the powerfactor in domestic premises and thus save some money is doubtful.
    I think we need Cardew to offer some words of wisdom.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The whole subject of Power Factor correction is immensely complicated.

In the simplest of terms, if an establishment has an incorrect power factor it means that they are using the electricity produced by the power stations(kVA) inefficiently. A device using 1 unit(kWh) of electricity might ‘use’ 1 kVA of produced electricity with the correct power factor, but 1.5kVA with an incorrect power factor.

This is a big problem for industrial concerns as they can be ‘fined’ by the electricity companies for an incorrect power factor(which is monitored). So if they used, say, 1,000,000 kWh they might pay, say, for 1,500,000 kWh. This is an incentive for them to take steps to continually correct their power factor.

However as far as I am aware all domestic supplies are billed in kWh and it doesn’t matter a jot to the householder(in monetary terms) what the power factor as it will not affect the price you pay. Power factor is not measured anyway.

If it were that simple to correct power factor I would have thought the electricity supply companies would fit them as standard – as it would save them money. However even assuming this device does correct power factor(it presumably will be banks of capacitors) I cannot see how it can possibly reduce costs to the consumer. which is the question posed by the OP.

In short yes it is a scam.
  • woollyjumper
    Options
    Maybe the fact most if not all UK consumers pay by KwH needs to be explained to the suppliers. Especially ones that think they are selling a green product that will reduce your electrically bill.

Thanks for the advise.
  • rubix_76
    rubix_76 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote:
    However as far as I am aware all domestic supplies are billed in kWh and it doesn’t matter a jot to the householder(in monetary terms) what the power factor as it will not affect the price you pay. Power factor is not measured anyway.

To add to what Cardew has said. Very few domestic devices (only maybe ones with motors) have inductive loads (Hence the need for power factor correction) so I can't see how it is possible for this "product" to work.

I am also sure that manufacturers must be obliged to build in any power factor corrections, if any are required, into their products as it is irresponsible for them not to as the public do not (as a rule) have the technical expertise to perform these modifications (unlike industriy) themselves.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure