We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• MickBBB
    Options
    I have used Trainline for some time and get a plusbus ticket which woirks well for me. But now Trainline not only want £1.50 booking fee but their free first class mail option has disappeared so now I have tocollect tickets at the station. So. Is plusbus or similar available at red potted hankie and the other booking services or is it only on Trainline.

Thanks in advance.

Mick
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2013 at 4:47PM
    Options
    MickBBB wrote: »
    I have used Trainline for some time and get a plusbus ticket which woirks well for me. But now Trainline not only want £1.50 booking fee but their free first class mail option has disappeared so now I have tocollect tickets at the station. So. Is plusbus or similar available at red potted hankie and the other booking services or is it only on Trainline.

Thanks in advance.

Mick
    http://www.redspottedhanky.com/trains/services-and-information/plusbus/

Aa far as I know, all ticket sellers offer Plusbus.
  • mot107
    Options
    Hi,
    Can anyone find me some cheap fares going Nuneaton or Coventry to Bangor leaving after 1600 on a Friday and returning late Sunday. Any dates for the next few months.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MickBBB wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

Mick

None of the suppliers will post a ticket to you if you book less than (roughly) a week ahead - unless you pay for special delivery
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mot107 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone find me some cheap fares going Nuneaton or Coventry to Bangor leaving after 1600 on a Friday and returning late Sunday. Any dates for the next few months.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom

Given your times you are not going to find it much cheaper - but try split ticketing at Crewe, using London Midland from Nuneaton to Crewe. Booking well ahead will also help, as will choosing less popular times
  • MsTeapot
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone have any tips on finding a cheap way to Heathrow from Bristol?

A few years back I found a website that sold really cheap train tickets to Heathrow from anywhere in the country if you input a valid flight number for your day/s of travel - but I can't remember what it was called and have had no luck on google. Does anyone know?

Thanks
    :)
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March 2013 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Well a fairly standard advance fare from Temple Meads to Reading then on the railair bus seems to be £25.Is that cheap enough for you?

Going into Paddington and getting the tube out again will probably be cheaper (potentially £15.00) but slower.

Never heard of your website, sorry. I'd have said that no such beast exists.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A bit more hassle, but I took a random date 05/06/13 and there is an advance from Bristol TM to Feltham (changing at Bristol Parkway and Reading) on e.g. 1641 departure at £9.00. Then Oyster on local bus from the forecourt to Heathrow £1.40 (or £2.40 cash).
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just to add it's the 490 to T4/T5 and the 285 for Heathrow Central Bus Station (T1/T2/T3).
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/feltham-2089.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family