🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• CarolynCh
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a ticket finding service which will show the cheapest fares over a few days (similar to Ryan*ir's flight one)? I want to travel from Manchester to London but don't have specific dates to stick to - I would choose depending on when I can get the cheapest tickets. Whenever I try any of the ticket finding sites recommended by Martin they force you to state specific dates, then display prices (e.g. from £12.50) for which there is never any trains on that day. Or is the only way to keep trying different dates?

Thanks
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    CarolynCh wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a ticket finding service which will show the cheapest fares over a few days (similar to Ryan*ir's flight one)? I want to travel from Manchester to London but don't have specific dates to stick to - I would choose depending on when I can get the cheapest tickets. Whenever I try any of the ticket finding sites recommended by Martin they force you to state specific dates, then display prices (e.g. from £12.50) for which there is never any trains on that day. Or is the only way to keep trying different dates?

Thanks

For that route, have you tried the Virgin best Fare finder ?(bottom right on the link here)

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/

Although it asks you to put in a date to start with, that's just used as a rough guide - you actually get a weeks worth of days centred on the day you put in, and can then go further back or forward. The display highlights the best fares found for morning, afternoon and evening sessions for each day and if you find a date/time and fare you like you can then go and purchase it from the site with no booking fee
  • CarolynCh
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    For that route, have you tried the Virgin best Fare finder ?(bottom right on the link here)

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/

Although it asks you to put in a date to start with, that's just used as a rough guide - you actually get a weeks worth of days centred on the day you put in, and can then go further back or forward. The display highlights the best fares found for morning, afternoon and evening sessions for each day and if you find a date/time and fare you like you can then go and purchase it from the site with no booking fee

Exactly what I wanted - thank you so much!
  • TheCookieMan
    Options
    New to train travel... need help please?!

Am intending to travel Wigan to London departing sat 23 /2 returning Mon 25/2. My child is 4 years old. I understand the operator is Virgin. How do I find the best deals? As my child is 4 and therefore essentially travels free does this mean I cannot book him a seat so we can sit together? I will pref need use of a power socket so I can use a laptop to keep him entertained - any advice gratefully received as never done this before!!

Yes i don't think you can book a seat but if you are off peak and ask nicely most people will move to make room for you to sit on separate seats!

The virgin finder is quite good if you are flexible - once you have worked out the best time to go check out some split tickets; I just checked (on fare ferret) for those dates and you could save a few quid.
  • Nual
    Nual Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My DD is about to move to Edinburgh - from Swansea. Can anyone suggest the cheapest split ticket or what ever for us to get to see each other in future?
    Many thanks
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It will depend on further details such as the date and route taken (plus the usual caveats about split ticketing should be observed), but a simple answer is:

Leominster, Warrington Bank Quay and Preston.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 February 2013 at 5:52PM
    Options
    As well as train all the way, you might consider flying.

Booked ahead, you can fly from Cardiff to Edinburgh with Flybe for from £45, and south again from £34

£8.20 train from Swansea to Cardiff off-peak. I haven't looked up buses to the airport

Edit: there's a station at Rhoose, £6.40 off-peak single from Swansea, 905 shuttle bus from there
  • salwar
    Options
    With £14 in tesco vouchers you can get a friends and family, 16 - 25 or senior railcard. Tesco's send you a code to use on railcard website, really easy, just done it for 2nd year running.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nual wrote: »
    My DD is about to move to Edinburgh - from Swansea. Can anyone suggest the cheapest split ticket or what ever for us to get to see each other in future?
    Many thanks

A straight walk-up ticket costs £165, return. Valid for one month.

Routeing options:

Swansea - Crewe (Arriva Trains Wales service to Manchester)
    Crewe - Edinburgh (Virgin)

Swansea - Manchester (Arriva Trains service to Manchester)
    Manchester - Edinburgh

Swansea - Bristol Parkway (First Great Western)
    Bristol Parkway - Edinburgh (CrossCountry)
    (avoid this one)

You can also consider

Swansea - Paddington (First Great Western)
    Kings Cross - Edinburgh (East Coast)

However this isn't valid on a Swansea - Edinburgh ticket - you would need to buy separate Swansea - London and London - Edinburgh tickets.

Advance fares for Swansea - London and London - Edinburgh will vary substantially depending on day of the week (probably cheapest midweek, out of rush hour).

I believe the cheapest route is Swansea - Manchester - Edinburgh, and you can it for around £74 return using Advance fares (these are sold 12 weeks in advance, and prices will rise subsequently)

A few considerations:

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55/

will get you from Swansea to Manchester or Crewe, return, for only £17. This is much better than an Advance, and cheaper too.

You can also get from Carlisle to Edinburgh for £19 return under the same scheme

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55

which would leave you needing Crewe or Manchester - Carlisle tickets.

Also a Young Person's Railcard, if eligible, cuts all fares by 1/3, as would a Senior Railcard, if eligible (this won't cut the Club 55 fares).
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Redspottedhanky are doing a Fantasy Grand Prix league where loyalty points can be earnt for discounts off future purchases. More details on their page:

http://fantasygp.games-redspottedhanky.com/?utm_source=redspottedhanky&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=&utm_content=home%20page%20&utm_campaign=gpgame
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport