🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Finishing work due to ill health

Options
Following a period of time off sick earlier this year, the Occupational Health doctor decided I was unfit to work in my current job which is a Maintenance worker for Network Rail. I have been on the railways since 1974. I have been at home on Full Pay since June 2010. They have attempted to redeploy me elsewhere in the company but this hasnt been possible, so I have now been given 3 months notice to terminate my contract under ill health. I am due to finish on 27/12/2010 unless I can find another post before that deadline.

My severance pay from Network Rail will be £38371. I understood that only any amount over £30K would be taxed as that it the case with Voluntary Severance. It has been suggested that the whole amount will be taxed and that because it spans 2 tax bands, most of it will be at 20% but a small amount will be at 40%. Can anyone advise on that please ? I'm not sure if the Severance payment includes any element of PILON (Payment in lieu of notice) or payment for unused Annual Leave as I am having to take my Annual Leave (32 days) during the next few weeks.

Comments

• Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    why not speak to your union rep and try to get them to retire youon ill health, hopefully on a pension and with a lump sum....usually ill health retirement means unable to do ANY job, but with the union on your side, you may be able to convince OH that if they can't find you a job in their firm (bearing in mind the serious number of job skills they have to offer) you won't be able to work in any field, it's worth a punt especially if your part of a final salary scheme.
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• Roy58
    Roy58 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi THere......

My employer will finish me under ill health, and then I can apply to receive an ill health (Incapacity) pension from the company pension fund, but its not 100% guaranteed....... I know of other people in similar situations to mine who have finished under ill health and have successfully applied for ill health pensions.......there are a couple of forms to fill in and then the decision is made by the pension commitee....... if they refuse my application then at least I can take my pension benefits early...its slightly less than ill health pension but i could in theory look for a part time job to supplement my pension income........
  • Roy58
    Roy58 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    .......... basically, I have to prove that I'm incapable of doing ANY kind of work before the committee will grant an incapacity pension, but Occupational Health know my case, theyve got a file 5" thick so they know the health issues Ive had and still have........
  • mg23
    Options
    this is on behalf of my dad , hi my dad had a stroke nearly a year ago now and is unable to work .he has just recieved a letter from his employer with notice of termination in may, i was wondering if he would be entitled to any redundancy pay he has worked there for 27 years, he works for a small private engineering firm
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP i would buy avc's on your pension to make it up to 40 years!--i was medically retired and always wish i had investigated them--i got 29 years worth and the extra 11 would have made life just that bit more comfortable!!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    mg23 wrote: »
    this is on behalf of my dad , hi my dad had a stroke nearly a year ago now and is unable to work .he has just recieved a letter from his employer with notice of termination in may, i was wondering if he would be entitled to any redundancy pay he has worked there for 27 years, he works for a small private engineering firm

I wouldn't think so, the job is not redundant its just he is unable to complete his contract so is being dismissed on capability grounds rather than redundancy.

He should get notice pay and holiday pay which accrues even whilst sick.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    OP i would buy avc's on your pension to make it up to 40 years!--i was medically retired and always wish i had investigated them--i got 29 years worth and the extra 11 would have made life just that bit more comfortable!!

Bit late considering the OP was 2010
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • nightingalesgarden
    Options
    mg23 wrote: »

Sorry to ask but is he too ill to return in any capacity? He would be covered by the Equality Act if he could return (over 1 year/long term illness)

Also does he have union representation? Has he been asked to any meetings to discuss the dismissal at work/home? When did he actually "see" a representative from his organisation.

What I'm looking for are opportunities to "ask" the employer if there is anything extra that they can do for him. They don't have to as it's not a redundancy situation but they might be able to do something.

A home visit by a manager/HR is usually a good time to bring it up - as it's an informal meeting then they can't really object to a family member being there asking questions on his behalf.

A letter outlining the loyal service and the situation by your Dad or a family member to the most senior manager/CEO of the firm has often been known to work.
  • philrich
    Options
    my company who i works for wants to finish me up on ill health but i am only 42 years old. my health was ok last year untill i had a fall in work and done damage to my ribs and spine and now i have been told by my doc i got to have a full ankle fusion and can not work after that. i have been sick a lot of times because of my back and ankle. how much can my company pay me off on ill health. they have ask me to come up with a offer. i have been working for them over 2 years and i got a 5 year contract with them. can anyone help me please
  • FLAPJACK
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »

I was pensioned off under ill health due to a stroke.

I though exactly the same ( I should have bought some AVCs) when I was told I was going....BUT the HR dept told me that an ill health pension is enhanced as to provide a pension eqivilent to 40 years service.

They said that infact had I bought AVCs then I would have been doing the scheme a favor as they would not have had to add so many years to my pension to get to the maximum of 40 years.

Not sure if all pension schemes do this though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport