Time to make some changes . . . lots of changes!

Options
So, I declared myself as DFW a few months ago (Will go find my SOA I did a while back . . . probably about time I did another one). I got involved in a number of challenges (see signature) but I was mostly playing games, not truly taking it seriously.

And then the summer came and I allowed myself to rack up a whole lot of new debt.

I had also got myself into a spiral of paying bank charges out of next months pay and then being on the back foot the entire time.

So the summer was fun, I can honestly say that. But. Big BUT. I was distracting myself from a number of ways that I am not happy about where I am and what I am doing at the moment (location and job mostly). When the fun all stopped I was forced to look at what I wanted to do and where I was going.

But why is this relevant to a DFD? Well although I know want I would like to do, the debt is going to hold me back. So I have to clear it. And this is good, because I have a great big goal to work towards. Everytime I think about frittering away my money on stuff, I will think about what I want more - more stuff (which I will have to find storage for when I go) or more experience.

So my goal is to go abroad to work. And being DF would make that so much better, and easier. And I also need some capital behind me to relocate.

There may be nobody who will read this DFD, but I will try to post everyday, so that I have to face up to what I am choosing, and hopefully learning. I'm also going to try to do something new everyday, whether that's earning some more, rejoining/joining a challenge, trying to reduce the costs of my debts etc. etc.

Wish me luck! ;)
Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
:T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
DFD: June 2015

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the debtbusting karma, it's good that you've got an ambition to move abroad, it will certainly help keep you focussed!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    Thanks jwil.

Today I am having a NSD - starting gently, but being tough with myself (I can see I'll have to stay well away from the Grabbit While You Can Board on NSDs!)

So I'm off to renew my subscription to the NSD Challenge, work out how to link this thread to my SOA, and update my signature (I've been avoiding that one - I'm a bit ashamed)

Three things today, not a bad start.
  • Kepp
    Kepp Posts: 4,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Karma,

Good luck with your DF journey :)

A diary is a brilliant way to stick to your goals and that's an amazing goal that you're working towards, I'm sure working abroad will be a great adventure :D
    Debt at LBM Apr 2010 £28,767 Debt free as of Nov 2013 :j
  • jwil
    Options
    I've just updated my signature, it's very depressing as mine has increased.

To link the threads, I think the easiest way is to copy the address of the one you want to show into the post of the other. (If that makes sense ??)

Good luck with the NSDs I should really go back on that thread too.
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    So I dug out my SOA from back in March:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2350875

It is very out of date, so I will do a new one in a week or so.

Its nice to have people reading my thread, that support really make a huge difference. So may make that my DFW thing for tomorrow, to go an be supportive to somebody else new-ish. I can't go around with a name like karmachi for nothing now can I!
  • jwil
    Options
    I think you got some pretty good comments on your SOA previously, so I don't really have anything to add.

Hope you had fun spreading the karma today!
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    Yes spreading the karma has gone incredibly well.

I did it to become more community minded on the board, and coming round to the idea that just because I don't have the experience to give great advice I can sympathise with some people and that is just as important to why we're all here.

What I didn't expect it to do was to strengthen my resolve. There are so many amazingly brave people out there, dealing with far more than me. It was pretty sobering, and made me realise I've been totally self indulgent in the way (not) tackled my debt. I can be a whole lot stricter with myself - and if I'm really serious about this I should be.

Tomorrow's task: I'm going to look at moving my bank account, separating my earning from my overdraft.

Goodnight people!
    Karma-chi
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    So I did do my set task for the day - looking at changing my bank account and shifting my overdraft (overdaft?)

But on balance (ho ho ho! :rotfl:) I don't think that barclays will be happy to carry all my debt when I'm no longer giving them my salary! So I am staying put for a while. I was mostly doing it so I *felt* better about my debts, but really its just moving it about. And I think I shouldn't feel better about it, because that will force me into deal with it properly.

Wow this is quite a learning curve eh?

I'm also finding the daily logging into MSE forum keeps me from wandering the internet looking at stuff to consume. And it's much more interesting.

Oh, and a NSD today!, better go update my signature and the NSD group.

Woop!
    Karma-chi
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    OK so today I am going to re-join the weekly spend challenge, ready for next week.

I've also got my CC statement through today so I have updated my signature to show the accurate balance (since my update earlier this week was a guestimate).

Have a few things to buy today, so no NSD.

In fact let me tell you that story . . . A couple of weeks ago my bag was stolen while I was in a pub. The bag had everything important in it - wallet, phone, house and car keys.

The obvious things were easy to sort out. Cancelled cards immediately, and blocked my phone, although it was pin protected so I don't think they could get in anyway. So I'm mostly back to normality bar a few things.

My car only came with one key when I bought it, and I called up Mazda for a new key they said it would cost £250 :eek: Somebody at work suggested I buy a set of locks from a breaker's yard and have them fitted, also getting the security back. So found some on eBay, and then the mechanic came to the house yesterday, and we took the steering whell bits apart . . . a found the parts weren't quite right.

So now its round two looking for part (mechanic also on the case). But I'm stuck on the bike for a while yet. More hassel!

Oh, and my mobile insurer isn't going to replace my handset :mad: so will have to figure out what to do anout that one . . .

But on the up side there are some lovely people in the world: One of the things in my wallet was a completed loyalty card entitling me to a free burrito from a place in town (they're a real weakness of mine). It was irratating because it was one of the things I couldn't replace. I happened to mention it to a friend, forgetting that she know's the owners of the burrito bar. Next time my friend saw the owner she'd brought in a completed card with a note saying "Sorry about your bag. We can't have you missing out on your lunch too!" How nice is that! :T

OK enough moaning, time to get on with things!
    Karma-chi
  • jwil
    Options
    I spend quite a lot of time reading other diaries and the other boards on here, there is so much support, but also, there are so many really inspiring people on here, who give out great ideas, tips and can share the same struggles. It's fab!

That's really annoying about your bag, and even more annoying about the car keys! Hope you manage to find some soon. Are you going to be ok about the house keys?

What a sweetie about the burrito bar people, that's really nice of them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport