We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Apple iPhone - Unknown Data Charges

Hi all,

Somebody may be able to help or assist me in a Apple iPhone problem.

I'm on a PAYG Tesco sim and have just started to use an iPhone in the last couple of weeks.

Since then my credit has been eaten up through data use and internet connection from my phone. I didn't make the connections but Tesco are adament they came from my phone despite them being during the night!

It seems the iPhone connects to the internet and checks with Apple on its status and applications. These connections are costing me money, in the most recent case using over £5 in a day leaving me with no credit left.

I've tried taking out the Mobile Data Network settings, or replacing them with fake information, but it still manages to get a connection. The only option seems to be total disable of the Mobile Data Network which stops data/internet but also MMS - Picture messaging.

Has anybody else started to notice increased data usage, extra internet charges or missing credit on an iPhone?

Has anbody got any help on how to stop internet connection but still allow MMS use?

Is it just me or has this just started from IOS 4.0 upwards?

Comments

  • akabee
    akabee Posts: 972 Forumite
    500 Posts
    Taken from another site.

    Well if you have updated to iOS4 in the carrier setting where you go to turn on/off 3G and data roaming you will now see the option to stop internet access altogether. This does not include the WiFi. If you are running any older OS just go in the carrier settings and remove the settings for the APN and so on.
  • I'm using IOS 4.1

    I have already tried totalling removing the network settings from the APN and adding fake/false settings to the APN but it still manages to find the 'last known good connection' to connect to Apple. In this case my Tesco settings and then a charge to me.

    The only option, that I have found and am using, is to disable the Mobile Data Network.

    But this stops all incoming and outgoing MMS, not essential but its nice to know you've got a message to download.

    It more the fact the phone is making a connection that I can't stop and its costing me money. I'm sure it will be costing other people, they may not have realised it yet.

    I just want Data stopped but MMS on!
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm using IOS 4.1

    I have already tried totalling removing the network settings from the APN and adding fake/false settings to the APN but it still manages to find the 'last known good connection' to connect to Apple. In this case my Tesco settings and then a charge to me.

    The only option, that I have found and am using, is to disable the Mobile Data Network.

    But this stops all incoming and outgoing MMS, not essential but its nice to know you've got a message to download.

    It more the fact the phone is making a connection that I can't stop and its costing me money. I'm sure it will be costing other people, they may not have realised it yet.

    I just want Data stopped but MMS on!

    Unfortunately MMS uses the data connection so if you turn data off, you also turn off MMS. When an iPhone is switched on in standby mode, Wifi is switched off, so all data in and out of the device is via the data network. I'd strongly suggest you get a data package; the iPhone is pretty gimped without one, and wasn't really intended to be used without one.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.