speed camera fine 14 day rule

Options
MarcoM
MarcoM Posts: 799 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

My mother got a speed camera fine through the postthe three weeks after the offence had been committed.

The car had just been bought recently by my dad and he is the register owner of the vehicle and was driving it at the time of the offence but for some reason the police sent the fine to my mum.
My father has an EU licence but my mother has a UK one, maybe this is the reason why they originally sent the fine to her.

Anyway, the NIP was sent 3 weeks after the offence date.
My parents were not aware of the 14 days rule so just signed the form giving the details of the driver and opted for a speed awareness course at sixty quid to avoid the three points. He has now been on the course.

Now since the police breached the 14 day rule, can they request a refund of the 60 quid?

Many thanks

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    he admitted the offence
    i hardly think they can fight it now
  • mickbhall
    mickbhall Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    once admitted don't think there is a lot they can do. Are you aware you don't have to receive the nip in 14 days it goes on the date sent.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MarcoM wrote: »
    ....for some reason the police sent the fine to my mum.

Where did the get her name from? It sounds as if the car is registered in her name.
  • BOOM_3
    BOOM_3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    They arent gonna give you the cash back after shes owned up to it are they!? Come on fella! :D
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2010 at 8:09PM
    Options
    mickbhall wrote: »
    once admitted don't think there is a lot they can do.

Correct. Too late now to do anything but I'm intrigued as to why the NIP was sent to Mum when Dad was the RK?? Was the car originally in Mums name then recently changed?

mickbhall wrote: »
    Are you aware you don't have to receive the nip in 14 days it goes on the date sent.

Nope, it has to be received (more correctly, served) within 14 days of the offence... if it's posted late that's their fault! Not that it matters in ths case.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think its 14 working days not 14 days so dont count Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holiday Mondays etc.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    MarcoM - ask the people on https://www.pepipoo.com about this one as they're quite clued up on this area :)
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mark5 wrote: »
    I think its 14 working days not 14 days so dont count Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holiday Mondays etc.

No, it's not. It's 14 days. The day of the offence is day 0. The NIP MUST be received within 14 days of the offence. If it was posted in time, it is assumed that it was served in time. However, this presumption is rebuttable.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    The clues in the "recently bought". ok it was 21 days from the offence, but when was the car bought? When did the seller inform DVLA they had sold the car? (probably right after they got a nip through the post and sent it on to the new keeper)
    That aside, it's done and dusted now, better get the possible fronting issue sorted (dads car, mums nip?)
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, they can claim exemption to the 14 day rule for various reasons including:
    Having an old address on your driving licence/V5.
    Being a new car and all the DVLA paperwork not having come through yet.
    That kind of thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport