We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Closing Santander ISA

Options
I have an ISA with Santander, but I need access to the money to pay off debts and wondered the best way to do this.
I do have online banking which is temporarily suspended, as I forgot my log in details and I'm still waiting (2 weeks and counting) for my new log in details.

Can I go into a branch with ID and close the account down and have the money transferred to another bank?
When I do have online access, I can't do anything besides look at the balance as it won't let transfer funds.

Comments

• ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is a branch based ISA any branch should be able to give you a cheque for the closing balance.

Be aware that it taakes about 10-15 minutes to close an account on the computer system so you may be asked to back at a specific time.

If it is over £500 take a passport or drivers license. If you don't have these then a utility bill/ letter from HMRC or DWP
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 429 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have another Santander account (savings or current) they could
    put the ISA money in there. Don't use the word transfer and ISA together
    as this means moving the money to another ISA manager, keeping the tax
    free wrapper and takes upto a month. What you need to do is close it or make withdrawral and get a cheque if you don't have the above.
    With Santander online banking, you need the one of the above accounts
    to get the money out (and a mobile phone as part of their enhanced security to make BACS payments).
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget you are dealing with Santander here. Nothing with them is ever straightforward!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure