We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Cheapest way to call a UK mobile?
Spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone to my girlfriend lately, 1hr last night (I called her) and 1hr30 tonight (she called me) and we both only have about 200 minutes each, so probably need to come up with some alternative!
We're going to use Skype but she doesn't get her MBP for another month or so, so what's a good stop gap solution until then? I have an iPhone so I was thinking maybe something like Skype or Google Voice (if it's out yet?) and calling her using that?
Any other options? I'd be tempted to get both of us on GiffGaff or something but my Tesco contract runs for another 10 months, and hers a bit longer than that
We're going to use Skype but she doesn't get her MBP for another month or so, so what's a good stop gap solution until then? I have an iPhone so I was thinking maybe something like Skype or Google Voice (if it's out yet?) and calling her using that?
Any other options? I'd be tempted to get both of us on GiffGaff or something but my Tesco contract runs for another 10 months, and hers a bit longer than that
0
Comments
-
Actually, looking at it now, calling from Skype costs 14.9p a minute, whereas calling from BT only costs 7.5p a minute. Fail!
That's a *lot* cheaper than I was expecting?0 -
If you both get a £10 a month giffgaff sim card (and just use it when you're calling each other) - you'll get unlimited inclusive calls to one another...
So, say you talk for an hour every night, that's 60x7x4 about 1700 mins a month, costing 127 quid at the 7.5p a minute rate.
Do you both have the internet... if so, use Skype over the net - its a lot cheaper (free) and you could also get webcams0 -
With giffgaff you only need to top up £10 every 3mths to get the free calls.Free to giffgaff:
You need to top-up at least every 3 months to receive free giffgaff to giffgaff calls, if you don't other UK rates will apply as above. The free giffgaff to giffgaff calls last for 60 minutes per call, so you need to hang up and re-dial if you want to keep talking.0 -
get on 3 skype to skype free as is 3-3 calls on pay as you go0
-
Thanks so much guys, she called me tonight for over 2 hours, pretty bad times and I felt super guilty - so just ordered us a GiffGaff sim each! Am I right in thinking then I could top up £10, then call her for free for the next 3 months for free, as long as we don't go over an hour? Good times! \o/
Skype sounds perfect but she won't have her laptop for another month or so.0 -
Okay, trying to find a couple of cheap phones now since hers is locked to orange, and I kinda don't fancy keep swapping the sims in my iPhone!
So could someone please recommend a cheap phone that's girl friendly, and for me something that's easy to use and has Bluetooth?
Am I right in thinking that all o2 handsets work with giffgaff? tyvm0 -
Get your landline with the post office!!!
Free calls to mobiles on one tariff0 -
Get your landline with the post office!!!
Free calls to mobiles on one tariff
They only have one tariff and calls to mobiles are inclusive not free at weekends only.;)
Cheapest way to call from a BT Landline is www.18185.co.uk
6p a min weekdays. 7p a min at weekends. 5p connection.0 -
Blimey.. just go to Computer Exchange and buy a cheap second hand phone.. or just ask around and see if anyone has an old one you can have (most people i know have a couple of phones left over from old contracts). Failing that, look on ebay. You only need a cheap Nokia.
Failing that, you could just buy a cheap unlocked handset like this.. http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/13449664/Motorola-WX160-Sim-Free-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone/Product.html
No bluetooth, surprisingly i couldn't find any cheap mobiles with it.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards