We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

is there a mobile to suit me?

first of all, i am a real technophobe, i don't understand all the technical jargon so apologies if i ask for anything to be clarified.

i don't make alot of calls and even though i mainly text, i don't send alot of texts. but i would like a phone that i could use the internet on. i do alot of browsing, facebooking etc. i would also like a pretty good camera on teh phone.

what phone should i go for and how much should i expect to pay?
"it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time. :D

Comments

  • I would recommend the San Francisco from Orange.

    It is £99 on Pay As You Go (no contract to worry about), and has some amazing features for a phone at it's price - it has GPS (so you can use it as a Sat Nav for your car), Wifi (so you can have ultra fast, often free internet when you're at places like Mc Donalds, Weatherspoons etc) and is running Andorid (which is an opereating system for mobile phones. It is very popular and, like the iPhone, has an App Store where you can get thousands of Apps for your phone).

    You can Unlock it for around £2 on the internet, which will let you switch to a different network than Orange. I personally recommend the network GiffGaff as, for only £10 a month, you can get 150 minutes, Unlimited texts and Unlimited Mobile Internet.

    The phone - http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/San-Francisco-from-Orange-in-grey

    The network I recommend - http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

    How to unlock the phone - http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/318726/unlock-your-san-francisco-for-s3-card-payments-p4-99-paypal-friendly-alternative-video-now-online/
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • hi, thank you, that phone looks amazing. do you know what giffgaff's coverage is like? i am currently with 3 and in my own house i have to stand at the back door for a signal. i am in northern ireland.
    "it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time. :D
  • hi, thank you, that phone looks amazing. do you know what giffgaff's coverage is like? i am currently with 3 and in my own house i have to stand at the back door for a signal. i am in northern ireland.

    I'm currently on GiffGaff, and find coverage to be ok. It uses o2's physical network, so if you know anyone on o2, you could ask them what signal's like in your area.

    I usually have signal most places, but not always 3G (which makes mobile internet load quicker).

    You can use http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/ to get a general idea of what signals like in your area for GiffGaff, although I've found it to be not amazingly accurate
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • thanks i will do that.
    "it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time. :D
  • thanks bonny1 but those phones dont have a camera or internet.
    "it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time. :D
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would recommend the San Francisco from Orange.

    Looking for a spare handset. Do you know if this handset has synchronisation software for Microsoft Outlook? I tend to use Windows mobiles with ActiveSync or Nokias because of their PC Suite, but willing to experiment.

    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.