We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
mileage for a used car
Comments
-
Thanks to everyone on this thread because you've given me a bit of hope re my own car.
I always thought 100k on a diesel engine to be acceptable, but others don't share this idea.
Could I ask what you would consider to be an unacceptable mileage for a diesel engine - on average, 1)say for a car used mainly for motorway journeys, 2)used mainly for urban driving or 3) a mixture of both?Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £20000 -
Hmmm. I've bought them before with 150,000 on
but then again, they've been fairly old ones. I'd want to be seeing at least 12,000 miles per year average on whatever I was buying. You can tell the difference between a motorway tramper and a former taxi with the high milers..the taxi interior (especially drivers seat) and controls will be far more worn. 0 -
All depends on how they've been serviced.... People seem truly chuffed that their car has acheived 100+k miles nowadays... And????... Big deal.0
-
At the extreme I have an old (1991) mercedes diesel that has 340,000 miles on it. Still uses no oil and there are many around the world with over 500,000 miles.
That's from a period when Mercedes used to make decent cars though..
Must modern non-performance (read slowish) diesel cars should be ok to at least 200,000. (non-performance would mean they haven't been thrashed because there's no point in doing so
) 0 -
Flying-High wrote: »People seem truly chuffed that their car has acheived 100+k miles nowadays... And????... Big deal.
It's called saving money
0 -
At the extreme I have an old (1991) mercedes diesel that has 340,000 miles on it. Still uses no oil and there are many around the world with over 500,000 miles.
That's from a period when Mercedes used to make decent cars though..
Must modern non-performance (read slowish) diesel cars should be ok to at least 200,000. (non-performance would mean they haven't been thrashed because there's no point in doing so
)
Exactly what I was getting at......
100K is nothing but people seem really chuffed that "It's made it"....0 -
Flying-High wrote: »Exactly what I was getting at......
100K is nothing but people seem really chuffed that "It's made it"....
Ah....point made. *note to self...must read comments properly...*0 -
Well back in the 80s, and for a petrol, it was an acheivement for some cars.
I remember looking at Mk4 Ford Escorts in scrapyards and noticing that they almost always had around 98,000 miles on the clock, give or take a thousand, which made me a bit nervous for mine, which was approaching that sort of figure.
At around 98,500 miles, my camshaft snapped in half and trashed the engine.0 -
Triskaidekaphobia wrote: »So you'd rather a 3 year old 100,000 mile car than a 4 year old 40,000 mile car that cost the same?
I'd hope we'd be talking about a 6-8 year old car, not one just a year older, otherwise the high miler is overpriced.0 -
Well back in the 80s, and for a petrol, it was an acheivement for some cars.
I remember looking at Mk4 Ford Escorts in scrapyards and noticing that they almost always had around 98,000 miles on the clock, give or take a thousand, which made me a bit nervous for mine, which was approaching that sort of figure.
At around 98,500 miles, my camshaft snapped in half and trashed the engine.
Camshaft snap - that's a failure you don't want to see aliong with crankshaft snap and con rods thrown out the side of the block.Hoping this year is better than the last.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
