We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Woah...Orange's 'unlimited texts' doesn't include texts charged at 'standard rate'

klowne
klowne Posts: 7 Forumite
I'm on the Orange Sim-only dolphin plan, which I've been pretty happy with until now - 600 mins and unlimited texts for £20/month and you can cancel with 30 days notice.

But...just saw my bill recently had shot up due to using Transport for London's SMS service on 60835. TfL says on it's website:
Text messages sent to 60835 requesting journey planner information will be charged at your network's standard rate

Clearly I misunderstood what they meant by unlimited texts.

Now O2 do a nearly identical package - I was wondering if anyone could test whether they have a similar policy? If not then I'll probably switch.

Cheers,

Tim

Comments

  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ive never known a number like that to be standard rate maybe they misinformed people on the site?
    What goes around-comes around
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,933 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Short code numbers have never been included, they're none geographic.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    they're none geographic.
    And mobile phone numbers are?
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • drbesty
    drbesty Posts: 967 Forumite
    Unlimited texts only include SMS sent to other mobile networks within the UK, short codes don't count, this is the same for all mobile networks
  • shandoli
    shandoli Posts: 48 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    drbesty wrote: »
    Unlimited texts only include SMS sent to other mobile networks within the UK, short codes don't count, this is the same for all mobile networks

    This. OP needs to relax.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I know its a bit misleading but as people have said shortcode message services are never included in inclusive texts.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Text messages sent to 60835 requesting journey planner information will be charged at your network's standard rate

    What this means is that it will be charged at the normal rate your network charges for a text message (before taking any text bundles into account - including "unlimited").

    All networks are the same.

    Hope that helps.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    simax wrote: »
    What this means is that it will be charged at the normal rate your network charges for a text message (before taking any text bundles into account - including "unlimited").

    All networks are the same.

    Hope that helps.

    I agree,

    There is nothing remotely ambiguous about it. It says you will be charged at your standard rate - and you were.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.