We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

T-mobiles broken promise

My phone contract expires today. A week ago I called T-mob to find out what deal they would offer me as a loyal customer (I’ve just completed my 4th year with them) and to my surprise they made me a very good offer:

£25 a month on a 24 month contract
900 minutes
unlimited text
unlimited internet
Free Samsung Galaxy S - The phone I wanted

I was very happy with this as at the moment I’m paying £30 a month for:

600 minutes,
400 texts (except I have unlimited text after making a complaint), unlimited internet.

And often I am going well over those 600 minutes making the bill very expensive.

So I ring t-mob today to renew my phone and upgrade to that price plan when I was told that deal expired two days ago and they could no longer offer me it. When I was told about the price plan I was promised I would be able to upgrade to it today - I double confirmed it would be all right on this date and I was promised it would be fine.

I have now been told they can offer me the same price plan at £30 a month. I know this is still a good price plan but as a full time student I really needed a plan under £30. I am annoyed they have broken their promise and I’m annoyed that suddenly this price plan will cost me an extra £120 in total. I feel mislead/misadvised.

Is there anything I can do? Are they allowed to make promised on a recorded phone called (as they remind you at the beginning of each conversation) and then go back on it?

Thanks in advance for any help given

Comments

  • Tammer
    Tammer Posts: 403 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi,

    Ask to leave (ask for your PAC) and you will find that they miraculously come up with an even better deal for you.

    It'll take you 5 minutes to sort out.

    Tammer
  • hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2010 at 3:47PM
    I think you need to be persistent. You made an agreement with them a week ago and you just need to keep repeating this fact with them; get an email address as this will help keep things clear. What they said to you was an implied contract and they are wrong to renege on a faithful customer. Have confidence and keep trying!!
  • rwalton159
    rwalton159 Posts: 467 Forumite
    That'll be one of the conversations they didn't record but you could ask them to search for it.
  • hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2010 at 3:49PM
    I would act "as if" naturally they will have recorded the conversation and ask politely if they will send you a transcript..

    I have tried this approach with another major computer company and as long as you pleasantly stick to your guns, you stand a good chance of success.

    Next thing will be to get this issue referred up to a more senior manager (whom you may choose to inform that you are discussing this matter on an important consumer forum!!).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.