Business phone line

Options
I am starting up my own accountancy business from home, initially in the evenings and weekends until I have enough clients to do it full time.

As I dont want calls to my home number (my wife would be irritated picking up calls while I am at work and the baby is crying!!) I thought I would advertise my mobile number but think that may put off potential clients. Is there any way that a new number can be used so that the clients can ring a national number and still come through to my mobile?

I dont want a premium rate line as that would not be fair on the clients but I also dont want to pay a premium myself for the line. Any ideas?

Also when I call them back they would see my mobile or home number, is there any way of getting round that rather than withholding the number?

Dave

Comments

• markmcg
    markmcg Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    vonage is the answer for you gives you a second phone line for 7.99 per month via your broadband line its a very good deal check it out you can also pick your own telephone area code hope this help.
  • DSM1971
    DSM1971 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestion but I only recently got a broadband connection with BT and I think its for a years contract. I don't really want to change that.
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.orbtalk.co.uk/ will provide you with a FREE incoming Geographical Number, area code of your choice,and free voicemail. You can divert this to your UK Mobile. It will cost you to divert.10p a min peak. 5p offpeak. Your need to put some credit it on it. Its a payg service.

Incoming calls will display the Orbtalk Number.
  • markmcg
    Options
    HI david you dont have to change suppliers have a look at there website it explains how it works good luck!
  • king_3
    king_3 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    BT "Callsign" might be the answer. You need to buy a "twin pack" device and plug into you phone line. It will give you seperate phone no but need you to pay 3pounds for that. Work as a charm in my case. I might got the name wrong but if you ring BT they will tell you.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    king wrote:
    BT "Callsign" might be the answer. You need to buy a "twin pack" device and plug into you phone line. It will give you seperate phone no but need you to pay 3pounds for that. Work as a charm in my case. I might got the name wrong but if you ring BT they will tell you.

The OP clearly says he does not want calls to his home number,so call sign would not be any use to him.;)
  • DSM1971
    Options
    Thank you King for the BT Callsign (I think it BT Twintalk).

Getting an extra line would be the answer as I could have it set up in my office and then at least we would know which calls are business and which are private.

I had thought a second line was too expensive but this seems to do the job, the only thing is that you can't use both lines at the same time ... nothing is perfect!!
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    DSM1971 wrote:
    Thank you King for the BT Callsign (I think it BT Twintalk).

Getting an extra line would be the answer as I could have it set up in my office and then at least we would know which calls are business and which are private.

I had thought a second line was too expensive but this seems to do the job, the only thing is that you can't use both lines at the same time ... nothing is perfect!!

Change of Goalposts!!!:D

Lot of suppliers of the callsplitter around EG: http://www.home-phones.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=69
  • king_3
    king_3 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Change of Goalposts!!!:D

Lot of suppliers of the callsplitter around EG: http://www.home-phones.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=69

Well done. I paid over 30 pounds 2 yrs ago. It gave me a second line for my fax. Unless you are on the phone all the time, it should be OK.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • helen_vasey
    Options
    this may seem like a silly question, but why have you not just had a second phone line put in, in another room? we have just had a 2nd line and number put in by ntl, no installation charge and £11 per month. so we know that, when it rings, it is for the business and will be billed separately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure