edited 5 October 2010 at 8:26PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
503 replies 151.9K views
1454647484951»

Replies

• Ange635Ange635 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I wonder if anyone can help me. My Life insurance finished in 2019 and while clearing out old documents I came across my policy.  Back in  late 2011 I was diagnosed with Meningiomas  ( benign brain tumours). At the time I I looked for my policy to see if I could claim but couldn’t find it. So I ended up forgetting about it. On clearing out old paper work, I found the policy and decided to look to see if I could have claimed. It did state that I could have  claimed for benign brain tumours.  I recently spoke with someone about it and they said I may still be able to claim on my pre existing policy. Can anyone give me advice on this as to wether it’s possible or not please.  I do now have a new life insurance policy against my remaining mortgage but I know I can’t claim from them for a pre existing life long condition. 
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contract law gives you 6 years to make a claim. T&Cs can try to make it shorter but the Financial Ombudsman can overrule the T&Cs where they think they are unfair. What the ombudsman may think is unfair depends on exactly what the terms are and if the delay in reporting the claim has prejudiced the insurers position at all.

You say you have the policy docs and that it covers this scenario then contact the insurer and make the claim. 
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    On clearing out old paper work, I found the policy and decided to look to see if I could have claimed. It did state that I could have  claimed for benign brain tumours.  
    The fact you are still here indicates that you cannot claim on the life assurance element.  Did the policy include other segments, such as critical illness cover?
    Is the documentation you read personalised or generic?   i.e. a policy that offers CIC and Life assurance may cover things relating to both in the generic paperwork but unless you had both, it may not apply to you.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.