We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old utility bills

Options
I have recently been contacted regarding an eon / powergen gas and electric bill from over 3 years ago. I have never been contacted regarding this before and am struggling to find evidence of receiving the bill or any meter readings from this property (rented property).
What should i do?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't matter if you haven't been contacted before if the bill is valid. Presumably they have just traced you?

When you use gas and electricity in a property you have entered a legally binding deemed contract with the supply company. When you moved out you should have read the meters and had that confirmed with the landlord/letting agent, contacted the supply company given them your forwarding address and paid your final bill.

If you did the above you are in the clear, but if you didn't you are now vunerable and might well be billed for consumption subsequent to your tenancy. However someone(new tenant/landlord/letting agent) has told the Utility company the meter readings, for which you have been billed, are your responsibility.

This happens a lot, and it becomes a third party dispute, you need to sort out with landlord new tenant etc. Don't ignore it as it will be passed to a Debt Collecting Agency.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi spiderpigno23,

Cardew has hit the nail on the head :D

The best thing to do is to contact E.ON, and ask where the reads have come from, are they estimated or accurate also check the dates the bill has been charged to, make sure your not paying for energy after you moved out. You may need to provide proof of the date you moved out.

If you didn't provide any accurate readings when you moved out an estimate may have to be used, this will be calculated using any previous accurate readings on the account.

If I can help further, just let me know.

Helena:)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 September 2010 at 11:16AM
    Options
    I have recently been contacted regarding an eon / powergen gas and electric bill from over 3 years ago. I have never been contacted regarding this before and am struggling to find evidence of receiving the bill or any meter readings from this property (rented property).
    What should i do?
    You are entitled to a copy of the original bill which will detail how much you owe and more importantly why. They should provide this on request.

If you agree with the bill, or rather do not have any grounds to disagree with it, I suggest you pay it.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Options
    What should i do?

Have you asked for a copy of the bill (and possibly also any contract you may have entered into if necessary)?

Do you believe that you paid for any energy you used whilst there / upon leaving?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport